Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I don't know about you, but walking to a tree stand or pop up in the dark creeps the hell out of me. Like it truly scares me because you don't know what could be lurking around the corner when there are bear and cougar around. Anyone else get the creeps walking in the pitch black or morning or night? If so, how do you combat it? Just walk fast as hell and don't stop or look back? That seems to work.

·
Registered
622 Posts
hunting in an area that we commonly see bears in, and know of lots of wolf sightings, it does get a bit eery. During gun season it's not a problem for me though, for obvious reasons. During bow I pretty much walk fast :)

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
My raccoon phobia causes some issues for me...but I have found that hissing at raccoons makes them scatter if they get too close for comfort.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I always carry a 38 in my belt EVERY TIME I GO INTO THE WOODS. Just because I can and you never know what or who is out there..:yikes:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay just making sure I'm not alone in this. Plus I don't have a GPS (can't afford it) so you bet I am scared walking to and from. I get made fun of at camp, cuz they are all hard and I am the comic relief, but hey it is all good. I actually got lost last week in the woods. No flashlight, no coat, no gloves, and I turned off the GPS I was using. Came to a trail and stuck on it. They eventually found me, oh yeah and only had one round in the gun. Bad idea to walk a trail to see if it were closer to camp.

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
only time i had that problem was when i hunted behind the county jail. whenever i walked out to my stand in the dark i had this uneasy feeling in my stomach.

·
Premium Member
7,087 Posts
I am scared of one thing in the dark.....a skunk!!

Seriously though, I have no fear of critters, other than skunks. When hunting the UP I just think about this fact, no man has been attacked or killed by a bear, coyote, cougar or wolf in Michigan in an awful long time.;) (If this is not true, don't tell me about it, you'll mess me up).

Don't worry about it, walk slow and quietly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My Best freind had the pleasure of having his son come home from the Marines for the holiday before going back over seas to Afganistan and we took him out hunting .
Well after the hunt my buddy calls me and said " Hey I had to call and let you know my son told me he was humbled today by your Daughter " he goes on to tell me how his Son is telling every one about how "we got out at 6 am total darkness and theres only one female and she is gone before all of us no light nothing and at the end of the hunt she comes walking in last again no light she should be a Marine".
Now mind you she is 4'11" and tips the scale at 100 lbs but shes been hunting with me since she was 10 yrs old and she knows the woods on our place like the back of her hand . But I don't know of any one that doesn't get that "boogieman" feeling when in a new place in the dark.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I get a little nervous walking in or out in the dark once in awhile. It's strange, once I get up my tree...it's like I have the high ground and I am now the predator..whatever is on the ground better be looking out for me!
Now if I have to be in a ground blind...sometimes I wish I had eyes in the back of my head just in case!

Captn---

·
Registered
622 Posts
I get a little nervous walking in or out in the dark once in awhile. It's strange, once I get up my tree...it's like I have the high ground and I am now the predator..whatever is on the ground better be looking out for me!
Now if I have to be in a ground blind...sometimes I wish I had eyes in the back of my head just in case!

Captn---
I'm EXACTLY the same, haha

·
Registered
4,686 Posts

Captn---
yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me too:lol:

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Seems I only get the heebie jeebies when either entering a box blind or climbing up into a stand in the dark. I had an encounter with critters in both scenarios before. One time I sat down on a porcupine that was using my chair as a bed in my box blind. He was perfect camoflauged match for the torn up brown material of the chair. That one had me darn near peeing myself trying to get the heck back out of there. Another time I popped my head over the platform of my old style hang on at about 20 feet only to be face to face with a dang possum. All I can say is thank God for soft landings.:lol::lol:

·
Registered
622 Posts
sissy's....
ok... not everyone has a GS Exterminator Pro 70# 29" DL with a Trophy Taker drop away rest, Xtreme 3-pin sight, using Rage 2 blade 100 grain AND Wasp Boss SST 4 blade 100 grain broadheads, with Easton ST Axis 29" arrows, with 414 grains total.... so give us a break!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Walking back to the truck after hunting for bears is a little nerve racking...knowing that the trail you use to find your way out is the same trail the bear uses to go to your bait (usually just after dark).. makes every sound become your focus... only been truly scared once in the woods, while walking to a turkey spot pre-dawn another hunter snuck up behind me on a bicycle and in a deep voice said "mornin".. thought i was going to come out of my skin..

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
thats only for the longrange shots. i have my knife and my lil friend for anyone thats wants to say hello...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
There is nothing worse then stepping on a flock of pheasants in the dark. I hate kicking up deer in the dark, I don't fear bears or wolves, as we don't have them down here yet, but I hate getting startled by animals I cant see, like turkeys crashing in the trees.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I am scared of one thing in the dark.....a skunk!!
THAT has been the scariest thing I have ever walked up on and it was about a month ago when bow hunting. I was walking through a bean field with my red head lamp on and saw something strange to the left about 10 feet ahead of me. I stopped. It was moving from my left to right. When it was in front of me it stopped, looked at me and walked off straight ahead of me...not off to the right, but straight in front. I stood there for about a minute and whistled, made some soft noises, shuffled my feet, just enough to let it know something was out there in hopes it would just run off. I stored up enough courage to start walking, still whistling and making the noises. I never saw nor smelled the critter again.

Other than that I don't ever have a problem with the dark and critters. When hunting in Washington State, we were in an area with frequesnt cougar sightings. When I was sitting a ridge one morning before daylight I heard something walking in. It was defiantly a quadruped. It again came from my left to right, then the footsteps stopped right in front of me. I was carrying my 45 1911, drew up on it with my Mini Mag, hit the light only to see the biggest BlackTail Buck I've ever seen in Washington. Needless to say it was way to dark for a shot. I turned off the light and it just walked away. Then there was a time out there that I walked into some forestry land open to public hunting. Found a great spont under some cedar bows along a river. When day light came around and I began surveying my spot a little better I noticed that there were numerous BIG tracks in the soft mud clay ground and then that peculiar smell the area came to light....I was sitting in a bear den....so that was a nervous moment and I swiftly and quietly made my way to another spot at least a mile away across the river:lol:

while walking to a turkey spot pre-dawn another hunter snuck up behind me on a bicycle and in a deep voice said "mornin".. thought i was going to come out of my skin..
LMAO..now I could be guilty of doing that. The private land I hunt is less than a mile from the house and when the weather is nice enough I'll load up my mountain bike (Hence the name TrekJeff) and ride on in. If anyone was trespassing, they would surely be on the main trail...

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Cougar country can be creepy but it isn't a big deal. I am usually 2-5 miles from my truck when darkness falls after deer hunting. I am in the middle of nowhere and the prairie isn't flat but filled with badland buttes, canyons and coulees. Birds flush up chattering, coyotes howling in all directions, range cattle sneaking up to check you out. All sorts of things but the worst thing that I worry about while hiking in or out of a hunting area in the dark is stepping on a cactus. I usually hunt in hiking shoes when the ground is dry and cactus thorns go right through. They not only feel like nails going in your feet but they also itch like crazy for seemingly endless amounts of time.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts