Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I take my daughter hunting with the crossbow, at the end of the hunt we walk to our vehicle with the bow cocked but without a bolt (bolt in the quiver). In our car/truck we keep a homemade discharge target and then we shoot at it with a discharge bolt.

We hunt Public Land that we mostly "have for ourselves" during bow season. Still, during evening hunts, we stay put in the tree stand a good 1/2 hour (sometimes more) after legal shooting hours... for safety reasons... And because it is a great moment to relax and "debrief" the day together.

The other day it dawned on me: we were walking at night with a cocked Xbow (again: no bolt) through public land on our way to the car.
Is this legal? Would we be intro trouble if stopped by a LEO?
Thanks!
JP

·
Registered
622 Posts
I doubt it if u don't have a bolt in it. Is it a pull cocking xbow or a.crank? Cause the pull cock pnes ate designed to release with the same pully string

C

Sent from my LGL35G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
When I take my daughter hunting with the crossbow, at the end of the hunt we walk to our vehicle with the bow cocked but without a bolt (bolt in the quiver). In our car/truck we keep a homemade discharge target and then we shoot at it with a discharge bolt.

We hunt Public Land that we mostly "have for ourselves" during bow season. Still, during evening hunts, we stay put in the tree stand a good 1/2 hour (sometimes more) after legal shooting hours... for safety reasons... And because it is a great moment to relax and "debrief" the day together.

The other day it dawned on me: we were walking at night with a cocked Xbow (again: no bolt) through public land on our way to the car.
Is this legal? Would we be intro trouble if stopped by a LEO?
Thanks!
JP
I have wondered the same thing as I do the same. I actually turn my headlights on and take about a 15 yard shot into my block target. Seems since crossbows are legal now the law needs to be rewrote.

·
Registered
19,090 Posts

Still, during evening hunts, we stay put in the tree stand a good 1/2 hour (sometimes more) after legal shooting hours... for safety reasons..
JP
If you are carrying flashlights, what is the safety reason ?

L & O

·
Banned
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone,
Thanks for your answers most are along my lines of thought.

as for the question why to take the extra safety of waiting if we carry flashlights/headlamps (that we do)?
Basically two big reasons:
1) no one can be "too safe" out there (as long as it does not mean breaking the law as was my question). And I have no rush to get back home to my "obligations" so... 8^)

2) the second BIG reason is: I am with my teenaged daughter and every trip together to the field is an opportunity to instill good and safe habits. One day she will be able to say "the old man was too annal about safety" and that will be her call LOL, but for now I prefer to convey a VERY clear message to her about hunter's safety.

·
Banned
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I doubt it if u don't have a bolt in it. Is it a pull cocking xbow or a.crank? Cause the pull cock pnes ate designed to release with the same pully string

C

Sent from my LGL35G using Ohub Campfire mobile app
It is a compound crossbow. We cock it with a pull rope. It can't be decocked with it though. We were told that the only Xbows that can be decocked with the rope are some recurves

·
Registered
290 Posts
I bring my practice bolt and shoot that into the ground so I am not walking with a cocked bow(so no way it gets bumped while walking thru woods and dry fires)
I know you want to be quiet when leaving but seems safer for the little bit of noise.maybe I am in the wrong??

·
Registered
19,090 Posts
I bring my practice bolt and shoot that into the ground so I am not walking with a cocked bow(so no way it gets bumped while walking thru woods and dry fires)
I know you want to be quiet when leaving but seems safer for the little bit of noise.maybe I am in the wrong??
So your crossbow doesn't have the anti-dry fire feature ? What kind of bow, how old ?
For sure if you actually have a bow that can dry fire, you need to discharge that before getting out of your stand. I thought bows not having the anti-dry fire feature were in the past.

L & O

·
Banned
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hello,
As mentioned by a fellow MSer, most crossbows have an anti-dryfire device that would prevent the bow from going off in a situations like you describe. However, I understand your concern and what you say is a possibility as well.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
The law from the wildlife conservation order:

(5) Subject to MCL 324.43510, (2) and (3), except during the hunting hours specified in this section and as otherwise provided by subsection (2), a person shall not possess afield a firearm unless it is unloaded in the barrel, or crossbow or a bow and arrow unless all arrows and bolts are placed in a quiver.

The wildlife conservation order is below. Add it to your favorites, it's the best resource you will find for these types of questions:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/wldlf_cnsrvtn_orders_382400_7.htm

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The law from the wildlife conservation order:

(5) Subject to MCL 324.43510, (2) and (3), except during the hunting hours specified in this section and as otherwise provided by subsection (2), a person shall not possess afield a firearm unless it is unloaded in the barrel, or crossbow or a bow and arrow unless all arrows and bolts are placed in a quiver.

The wildlife conservation order is below. Add it to your favorites, it's the best resource you will find for these types of questions:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/wldlf_cnsrvtn_orders_382400_7.htm
That moment you put the bolt in your crossbow to discharge it sounds to me like it could be illegal. Chances of getting caught are slim and would think most CO's would not be so petty. There should be a addition to the law that allows for bolt to be added after legal hunting hours for immediate discharge.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
hello,
As mentioned by a fellow MSer, most crossbows have an anti-dryfire device that would prevent the bow from going off in a situations like you describe. However, I understand your concern and what you say is a possibility as well.
My safety will not come off unless there is a bolt in. I would recommend if carrying a cocked crossbow with the same kind of safety feature as mine that after you remove the bolt to make sure the safety will not come off before traveling. What ever the bolt triggers to make the safety to come off will hang up on mine every now and then allowing the safety to come off without a bolt. So make sure you fiddle with your safety to make sure it won't come off before you start walking.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
OP, based on what you described I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Xbow hunters do the same. It is logical and if you are standing alongside your vehicle with a target to discharge the bow and a leo rolls up, I'd be surprised if you were cited with anything. As the law is written as "afield"...there in lies the criteria of the location. The intent of the law can range from preventing poaching etc.

Bottom line, hats off to you for being that dad. Stay safe and have a great season.

·
Premium Member
12,816 Posts
I Carry a field point that I shoot to unload my crossbow and you can let a bow down with the cocking rope if you use a pencil to override the dryfire mechanism.

·
Registered
19,090 Posts
....... and you can let a bow down with the cocking rope if you use a pencil to override the dryfire mechanism.
It seems like you would need 3 hands to do that.

L & O

·
Premium Member
12,816 Posts
It seems like you would need 3 hands to do that.

L & O
It is a little bit of a juggling act but after the cams break it is relatively easy to hold both handles with one hand while you trip the trigger. do not try to let all the way down with one hand because there is a bit of a surge when you get to the cam break point.

·
Banned
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OP, based on what you described I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Xbow hunters do the same. It is logical and if you are standing alongside your vehicle with a target to discharge the bow and a leo rolls up, I'd be surprised if you were cited with anything. As the law is written as "afield"...there in lies the criteria of the location. The intent of the law can range from preventing poaching etc.

Bottom line, hats off to you for being that dad. Stay safe and have a great season.
Thank you and thanks everyone for your answers. What others said about the law is a good point and your comment on obvious intent to discharge is very important. Have a great one you too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts