Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me say I do not mean any thing bad with what I am about to say and there are probably some very truthful answers to my question, so please no one be offended. Why are some of you bowhunters just now buying a bow or just now starting to shoot your bow(or pull it out of the closet)?
I personally shoot all year. I shoot at least once a week during the winter and by june I am shooting 3 times a week and in september I am shooting at least 5 times a week sometimes twice a day. I am not on a league. I only use by bow for hunting. All the shooting I do is for hunting reasons and well yes I enjoy it. If I were to buy a new bow, I would buy it at least 2 months before the season. As for practice I know that not everybody has time to practice practice practice, but come on the season starts in 7 days. I like the fact that I am very confident and not afraid to thread the needle if needed.(deer don't always stand in the open) My bow is always in top shape and ready to shoot. Infact my sight broke last week and the next day I bought a new one (different then what I had ) and within 1 hour of buying the sight I was sighted in and Shooting 6 arrows into a 6 inch circle from 50 yards.( I don't plan on shooting over 30 yards but if a 50 yard shot presents its self I am ready)
Like I said I hope not to offend anyone just wondering why so many hunters wait to the last minute to get their bows and gear ready within 2 weeks of the season. IMO I think the average hunter should be shooting at least 3 times a week for the entire month of september.
There is nothing worse than finding out there is a problem with your gear just before the season begins. Even with a new bow problems could occur. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Some can buy a bow on Oct 15th and hunt with it the 16th if they have a few hours to set it up.

In fact, when the new Martin is released real close to that day, that is probably what will happen.;)

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I agree with Kellly. The fundamentals remain the same regardless of what bow you are using and for some of us it takes literally minutes to get a bow in tune. It's truly not as hard as some like to make it out to be.;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I shoot most of the year, even if it 5 yards in my basement. But I tinker around all year! There is always something new that I have to try! :)

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes if you have been practicing the fundamentals all along buying a new bow and setting up and using it the next day is not at all uncommon. I could see my self doing that. I was referring to the hunters who haven't held their bow since last hunting season who in the last couple of weeks have just started getting it together. Like I stated earlier there are probably many good reasons for why guys wait to the last minute, but like hunting big bucks, the guys who consistantly shoot book bucks don't just pull their gear down out the closet and walk into the woods and start hunting, they scout and prepare themselves to find and kill those big boys. Michihunter and Kelly I don't know you guys personally but I am willing to bet that both of you have probably been shooting for a while now.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
You would be correct bucksnnbows. I shoot regularly all year round. I actually decrease my practice though come September and focus on getting one clean shot off in a 'cold' state meaning without warmup. I may shoot sometimes only 4 arrows in a whole day practice session with at least an hour between shots.

I truly think that for some practice can be done 2 weeks before season and they are good to go. I personally think that if I didn't enjoy shooting as much as I do that I could get away with that as well. It's just not that hard for me to shoot well enough to kill a deer. I'd have to assume that others possess that same ability so I'm hesitant to knock anyone that does what you are saying.But in general I do agree with your premise and don't condone shooting at an animal without being properly prepared.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Went to k-d bought a new martin new WB new sight's everything but a new release hiting my own arrow within ten min...that right there is good stuff!!!!!!:coolgleam also great people!!!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I spend my summers salmon fishing and the rest of the year getting ready for waterfowl. When I was 17 my cousin talked me into bow hunting that summer I bought my bow and practiced with it until I was a capable shooter. I am 26 now and have never even moved my sights since that one year and as a matter of fact i broke out the bow today and hit every shot I took, I will probably shoot one more time before the season starts. I will only bowhunt around duckhunting. Bow hunting just doesnt excite me the same way ducks and salmon do, actually I prefer squirrel hunting at times. I think its the trophy buck guys that really turn me off they have made it into too much of a competition, also why I quit bass fishing when I was a kid(I got sick of getting dirty looks for keeping legal fish) but that is another story. Also you didnt offend me, I understand that some guys dont even try to shoot accurately and there are a lot of slob hunters out there. I hope this gives you the answer your looking for. And good luck this season.

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spend my summers salmon fishing and the rest of the year getting ready for waterfowl. When I was 17 my cousin talked me into bow hunting that summer I bought my bow and practiced with it until I was a capable shooter. I am 26 now and have never even moved my sights since that one year and as a matter of fact i broke out the bow today and hit every shot I took, I will probably shoot one more time before the season starts. I will only bowhunt around duckhunting. Bow hunting just doesnt excite me the same way ducks and salmon do, actually I prefer squirrel hunting at times. I think its the trophy buck guys that really turn me off they have made it into too much of a competition, also why I quit bass fishing when I was a kid(I got sick of getting dirty looks for keeping legal fish) but that is another story. Also you didnt offend me, I understand that some guys dont even try to shoot accurately and there are a lot of slob hunters out there. I hope this gives you the answer your looking for. And good luck this season.
That is a good answer. If the arrow is going where you want then I would say you are 80% ready. I say 80% because shooting in a hunting situation is different than target practice. If you are not all that pumped about bowhunting then there is even more reason for why you wouldn't be out giving it that extra effort.(Kind of like the once in a while golfer, hits a bucket or two then he is on the course) Iguess you could say limited practice is fine as long as you are hitting your mark and not shooting past your limitations. Kind of like a 300 mag could shoot an animal at 400 yards but that doesn't mean the hunter is capable of making that 400 yard shot if he isn't proficient with the weapon.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
That is a good answer. If the arrow is going where you want then I would say you are 80% ready. I say 80% because shooting in a hunting situation is different than target practice. If you are not all that pumped about bowhunting then there is even more reason for why you wouldn't be out giving it that extra effort.(Kind of like the once in a while golfer, hits a bucket or two then he is on the course) Iguess you could say limited practice is fine as long as you are hitting your mark and not shooting past your limitations. Kind of like a 300 mag could shoot an animal at 400 yards but that doesn't mean the hunter is capable of making that 400 yard shot if he isn't proficient with the weapon.
I will not shoot if I dont feel comfortable, but with compound bows you really dont have to practice all year, I will admit that you will be very good if you do but all the practice in the world means nothing when the game starts. ask the detroit lions about how well a good preseason helps when the real season comes around. Thats when you need to be sensible and realize that you might wound a deer and therefore dont take the shot, also there are times when I will quit for the day if I dont think my head is into it ie: sometimes I get too hyper to sit still. Its just my little way of preventing two things- 1 a bad shot 2 spooking a deer that I might have a chance at later. Today I hit a 3" circle four times at 40 yds but I would rarely take that kind of shot in the places I hunt.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Same reason many GUn hunter pull the old gun out of the case with the same thought Well it was on last year , should be no problem this year???

I do not agree with it but some people are notorious for waiting til the last moment, How busy are the gun ranges on Nov. 10th -14th.

i am not saying that there is a similarity between bow and gun , I feel that one must spend the time to get the confidence with whatever weapon they choose.

Mike

·
Registered
697 Posts
I know a lot of guys who only shoot 3 or 4 times, maybe a dozen arrows each time then hunt all season without firing a another shot:mad:.

I shoot regularly all summer and make it a point to try and find time to shoot every day starting about the begining of Sep. I like to be prepared and not have to even think about my shot, I figure if the shot just happens naturally it will be easier to stay consistent when my blood is pumping a million miles a minute with a deer in the sights.

That said, I am about to begin the process of swapping bows right now, but I'm just trading off what has become my back-up bow. My hunting rig is ready and thirty for blood.:evil:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I like to be comfortable with my equipment so I shoot all year, but if they feel confident with their setup, go for it!

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
The fact of the matter is, the more you shoot and develop muscle memory, the better you will be when the time comes. I know lots of hunters who thought they were "ready" then wondered why they missed on a close shot for no good reason.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I understand your being annoyed by this...

I shoot year round, and come September I'm shooting at least 5 days a week...(As a side note: Michihunter brought up a good point, being able to shoot well cold; I need to concentrate on it a lot more myself.

But, I have a friend who doesn't shoot much off-season (maybe 5-6 sessions all off-season). His first few arrows are usually all over the place. It really annoys me, but when he finally gets a decent sized group (one that I would consider way below average), he stops shooting and says he's ready. I've told him dozens of times that I disagree with this but so far, he's gone 3 or 4 seasons deerless, eating tag soup.

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
Some can buy a bow on Oct 15th and hunt with it the 16th if they have a few hours to set it up.

In fact, when the new Martin is released real close to that day, that is probably what will happen.;)
While this is true for some, I see it EVERY year while hanging around my local shop - the guys that go in there within one week of the season to buy a bow that have never even owned a bow (or have been shooting a 20 yr old bow). The guys that are inquiring about what accessories are needed (yes, you need both a rest AND a sight ..... what's a peep sight?, etc). I'm sorry, but these types SHOULD NOT BE BOW HUNTING THIS YEAR!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts