Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can see the advantages of stocking foot waders but can’t see why there should be much difference between big name high dollar wading boots and say some $29 Walmart special 6” hikers. I would think that soaked they would look and act the same. I guess there’s a question in there somewhere....

·
Registered
415 Posts
...I would think that soaked they would look and act the same...
But do they FEEL as comfortable? Don't do what i did when i was much younger and more foolish.... bought inexpensive boots without trying them on when wearing the same socks i would use for wading, used them even though they were uncomfortable, and then developed a painful foot corn.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
Quality. Spend $29 have have them blow out after a few years or spend a few more bucks and get something that last. Korkers are the brand I am sticking with. Great boots and awesome customer service.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
Wading boots are designed for traction in water, hiking boots are not. Get the best you can afford, because they will be more comfortable and last a lot longer than cheapies. I can spend all day in my Simms Freestone boots no problem.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Years ago I went on a trip and forgot my wading boots, went into a wally world store and bought a pair of cheap oversized ankle top tennis shoes. Bad mistake, slipped several times, feet were tired after each day, and sore ankles for a week after. I should have gone down the road a few miles to a fly shop and gotten at least a cheap pair of decent boots.
Wading shoes/boots are designed to fit properly with the stocking foot waders, granted some are designed better than others and each person has a preference as to fit. So find a decent pair that fits you correctly and is in your budget, don't waste your time, money, body trying to be Cheap.

Reactions: tincanary

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s just that I find it so easy to be cheap. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I've tried cheapo wading boots, and it matters about the same as buying cheapo hiking boots--it doesn't seem to matter, until it does. I think individual fit is the most important, not necessarily buying the most expensive item.

Reactions: MickL

·
Registered
546 Posts
I took a pair of Cabelas felt sole boots to Alaska. Can't use felt soles in Alaska. I borrowed the outfitter's Simms boots. They were so comfortable that I bought them from him.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What ever brand you end up with, buy a size or 2 larger. I wear a 12, tried my sons 14s and fell in love! Sure is nice to just step in to a set and not fight to get them on or off. Of course make sure they tighten down and feel OK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts