Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Down here in Ohio our bow season opened this past Saturday. The 5 of us that hunt in our group, a total of 3 does went down with 2 of them coming with X bows. Both of the guys used Rage broadheads.

·
Administrator
18,717 Posts
Congrats to you!
Even though I am against full inclusion of crossbows, I am a man of my word.
Last weekend an acquaintance of mine who was having trouble with a cross bow asked my opinion. I had him bring it over. He had an assortment of arrows and said he couldn't get consistent flight with fixed-blade broadheads.
We shot the bow through paper while experimenting with different field tip weights. After finding the best combination, I sighted the bow in for 20 yards. Shooting only matched combinations to the one that punched bullet holes through paper, the arrows all stacked up in the bulls-eye.
From what I read here, most thought that mechanicals were the way to go for crossbow broadheads. I recommended he buy some 125 grain Rage or Spitfires, and said he should be good to go. I am pretty confident that if he gets a 20 yard shot he will be telling me a success story soon....
In any case, as much as I protested here I did pick up some useful information as well....
<----<<<

·
Super Moderator
28,983 Posts
Congrats to you!
Even though I am against full inclusion of crossbows, I am a man of my word.
Last weekend an acquaintance of mine who was having trouble with a cross bow asked my opinion. I had him bring it over. He had an assortment of arrows and said he couldn't get consistent flight with fixed-blade broadheads.
We shot the bow through paper while experimenting with different field tip weights. After finding the best combination, I sighted the bow in for 20 yards. Shooting only matched combinations to the one that punched bullet holes through paper, the arrows all stacked up in the bulls-eye.
From what I read here, most thought that mechanicals were the way to go for crossbow broadheads. I recommended he buy some 125 grain Rage or Spitfires, and said he should be good to go. I am pretty confident that if he gets a 20 yard shot he will be telling me a success story soon....
In any case, as much as I protested here I did pick up some useful information as well....
<----<<<
I like a guy with an open mind and helpful to other sportsman even if he doesn't agree with his equipment choice.

·
Banned
3,432 Posts
con grads and hats of to you joe, it take a real person to step up and put there difference behind them and help some one

Way to go and I also have been told that you need more frt of center weight on crossbow's That is why some guys and gals use brass inserts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
con grads and hats of to you joe, it take a real person to step up and put there difference behind them and help some one

Way to go and I also have been told that you need more frt of center weight on crossbow's That is why some guys and gals use brass inserts
:yeahthat:

One question, mi... do you think this could be remedied with use of a heavier broadhead?
~m~

·
Banned
3,432 Posts
Yeah using a 125 grain head does help,with the frt of center, also most guys prefer the 4 or 5 inch vanes to help the heavier heads

I am using a 100 grain head with brass insets and im having better luck then with a regular insert and 125 grain heads, go figure

·
Administrator
18,717 Posts
:yeahthat:

One question, mi... do you think this could be remedied with use of a heavier broadhead?
~m~
I was experimenting with different weight arrows and different weight tips. When I got to the combination of a shorter aluminum arrow with feathers and the 125 grain field point..... I ended up with bullet holes trough paper at 3 - 15 yards. 85 grain and 100 grain always had a slight tear.
<----<<<

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah using a 125 grain head does help,with the frt of center, also most guys prefer the 4 or 5 inch vanes to help the heavier heads

I am using a 100 grain head with brass insets and im having better luck then with a regular insert and 125 grain heads, go figure
I only am using GT LII's, but the components for them are 110 gr brass insert + 100 gr head = 210 gr. 125 gr head and 32 gr alum insert = 157 gr. There's your answer, much more FOC.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been using 100 grain mechanical heads for sometime, X bow bolts seem to shoot flat out to about 23 yards then start to drop, with my red dot 3 dot scope all is good out to near 40 yards.
Another question was were we seeing any bucks, that would be a yes. The bucks seem to be still grouped up the other night I saw 6 bucks standing together under a stand of mine. My buddy had 2 small 6 to8 point bucks sparring under him. But we are only allowed one buck and 3 does per season in my geography, so we try to wait on a bigger buck. We have all kinds of deer, last year during gun season a group of 70 -80 deer went by me with at least 35 being bucks, we took a nice 12 point out of that group as they cruised by. We are in heavy farm country about 40 miles south of Toledo, flatlander for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.