Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out walking the back 20 trying to see who the ahole was illegally hunting my property when I scared up a couple of pretty large rabbits. Thought about taking a shot (had my orange on, license in pocket, loaded 12 ga), but I always remember my dad saying something about not hunting rabbit until after the first snow. It had to do with some disease they carried until the cold weather hit. Is this true???

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So no reason to avoid shotting those rabbits as long as they're in season?

I got a hankerin' to thin out the population around my place this year. It sure seemed like we had alot of them this summer!

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can eat em before the frost but wear gloves when you clean em. Alot of em have Tuleremia and a few have worms. Cooking the meat kills both, just not real appetizing :eek:

Here's a pick of me and a bunny, I mostly use my 1022 magnum on em. Always headshots. Yum. That's my old Mitsubishis Pickup truck, thing ran ferever...354,000 miles on it before it died.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yup...it goes away with the frost. But...like I said, once you cook it you'll be fine. Also, many fish you may eat contain worms you just don't see it. Codfish, halibut, redfish, etc...

I bet you have those big ol' bunnies up there too. We mostly have what we call swamp rabbits down here but they can get large.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Crowblaster, you must at least be from Michigan. I lived in florida for quite a while. I missed the Michigan hunting. Sitting in a treestand, in camo shorts and t-shirt with net camo over me was strange.

I was in South Florida once and saw the strangest rabbit hunt. They were burning off the sugar cane, and along the side where the fire was heading were dozens of folks... hunting the bunnies that scampered out. Hunting with clubs, mostly. No guns.

They were doing VERY good. I saw some big coolers filled up to the top. They'd pretty quickly skin and gut the rabbits, leaving one foot intact, to prove to the folks in Miami and Homestead that the animals they sold to them were in fact bunnies, not cats.

I do miss hunting the pigs, however. That is sport.

Scout

·
Registered
48 Posts
No, not from Michigan but I have visited your state a few times. Of course, had to go to Jays and the Cabelas in Dundee. I'd love to relocate to your state, gotta find a job first though. Sure is a pretty state once you get outta the city's...

·
Registered
440 Posts
rabbits also carry a fly larva called the bot fly,more often in the warmer parts of the country,like the south (texas).
i have shot rabbits the had the larva in the skin in michigan.
the larva leaves the body in the late summer,but some are found in the fall.the body is healed by the time cold weather hits!

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I have killed a lot of rabbits in the middle of winter that have tape worms in them.

We also usually find fleas and ticks even in the winter.

We have to worm our dogs every month in the winter because they can pick up tapes from the rabbits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts