Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone with my e-mail in their address book has this virus. Alot of names are fishing and hunting names, so maybe we can pinpoint the source...anyone recgonize these names?

IF YOU ARE INFECTED CLICK HERE FOR THE FIX!
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected] baldor.com

[email protected]

[email protected] yahoo.com

[email protected]

[email protected] netscape.net

[email protected] focalpointlights.com

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
Those aren't me or mine, but I did get one message from a "rhelton" if that is familiar to anyone.
Luckily I had already fixed and inoculated.

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't get the virus, never opened any attachments...However my name is in someone's address book that got the virus so people have been getting the virus through my e-mail...not from me but this virus sends it using everyone's name in your address book...

·
Premium Member
12,124 Posts
I received this email; I downloaded the removal tool and ran it twice only to find no virus! This may be one that attaches to addresses in address books and sends them out.

Please contact your System Administrator.
You have received this notification because an email was sent to KEMET
that has been infected with a virus and listed your email address in the
"From:" address field. As a result, the Author (you) and the
KEMET Email Administrators have been notified.

Some worms use a randomly chosen address that it finds on an infected
computer as the "From:" address, numerous cases have been reported in which
users of uninfected computers receive complaints that they have sent an
infected message to someone else.
If you are using a current AntiVirus Solution, have the most recent virus
definitions, and a full system scan with your AntiVirus Solution set to
scan all files does not find anything, you can be confident that your
computer is not infected
with the worm.

The scanned document was QUARANTINED.

Violation Information:
The attachment thank_you.pif contained the virus [email protected] and could
NOT be repaired.

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still haven't opened any attachments and don't have the virus BUT I continue to recieve 50 e-mails every 6 hours or so that have attachments with the virus...

[email protected] is one that I know from here...

Wallywillie is another...I think maybe one of our members has the virus....does this virus disable your computer or does it just attach to you address book and send out tons of e-mail? Can you have it sending out from your address book and not know it or does this virus disable your puter too...

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I'm getting them but our corporate firewall is cleaning them. They checked my box and it's clean. It spoofs your e-address and spams others with it. I got one with your name Northern Outdoorsman but know you didn't send it. They come through with subjects, "thanks" "wicked screensaver" "your approval", etc. If you don't have good virus protection, don't open them. Why do losers have to start this crap?

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
Don, check toto's thread about a virus alert (and my reply regarding fixing this).

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
As far as you know :D

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Do you do your windows updates regularly? They released a virus dectection program last week that will fix 37 email virus's.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I just got an email today that said "norton" i believe (whatever that is) deleted the attachment because it had that virus in the attachment......i guess "norton" is the virus protection i'm taking it?

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
OK.....you cannot rely on the return address to tell where these messages came from. Sobig.f spoofs the return address on every message it sends out. In order to tell where these messages are coming from you must read the e-mail header which is embedded in the message. The header is encoded with the real senders ip address somewhere in the text of the header.

Contact your ISP and they can look at one of the messages and tell you where it is originating from. Your ISP may also be able to block the sender.

Another option would be to send the message to someone (first contact them and get their permission) who knows how to read e-mail headers.

·
Registered
286 Posts
anyone sends me a fwd msg, it will not be opened by me no matter what even if I know you. i have had in the past year maybe 6 to 8 junk e-mails in my account. Sorry if you know me, don't send that fwd stuff to me. Instant delete.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts