Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aka the hungarian pointer, does anyone own one? and can you tell me about them, things like personality how long they stay in puppy hood, do they compare in hunting ablility with britts and gsp's?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Hey there mehMan,

As you can tell by my user name, I am quite fond of the Vizsla. I have two males that are about 2 1/2 years old. You will probably get different responses to your e-mail, but I can offer up my opinion:

First off, I believe they are very close in tempermant to a GSP or Weim. As with most puppies (or dogs for that matter), unless you give them something they can be a little destructive. Don't take this the wrong way, but like a little child, you need to keep your eye on them. I usually let my dogs be puppies for about a year. No formal training other than the general obedience things. Yes, I get them in the field and around birds at an early age, but you need to let them be a puppy. Work on whoa and come as they will be your biggest allies later in the training/hunting phase.

In regards to hunting ability, I have two thoughts. For one, the dog has to want to hunt. Prey drive is everything! Regardless of breed, you need to be sure that the sire and dam are hunters and that they hunt to your satisfaction. As they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Secondly, you get out of it what you put into it. If you don't train the dog to hunt or if you don't give the dog the tools to hunt, then he won't hunt - enough said.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to talk a little more. I'd be glad to fill you in on my boys. You may also hear from Scott (a.k.a. FieldWalker as he has a V also). Anyway, here are a few pictures:

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I hate them.

;)

My V (Kayla) is 13 months and some change and she is still a puppy. I'll let you know when she gets out of this stage. I've heard that Britt's and Setters are puppies till they are almost three. As in everything, I'm sure there is a bell-curve to statisfy when a dog is no longer a puppy.

Temperment- I would say comparable to Setters- I think GSP have a very wide variety of temperments, since the blood is so varied (americanized GSP versus true German GSP).

Foremost, if your interested in one, I'd watch a few "go" before you make any decisions... cause once you see them as puppies, its all but over.

I'm from Bay City/ Saginaw area and VHD is from Holly area, I know both of us would be more than willing to take them out for you as I'm sure every V breeder would as well.

One thing that I've heard of is that V's do not do well in a "non-family" setting. It is strongly suggested that they are not full-time kennel dogs.

Throw one of us or both of us PM or a post on here to set something up or call (989-992-3356)... or with more questions. I can run the dogs about 5 minutes away from my home in Bay City but I'll be in Harrison (just north of Clare) running Kayla with Shane (greydog) and his weim this weekend, hopefully.

Good luck

-Scott

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
Our pup is now 13 weeks old. In the short time this is what I can tell you. She has one heck of a nose. I have had a few hunting dogs before. I think she has a better nose then all of them.

She chews more then any dog I have ever seen. Barks more then I like, mainly happy and wants to play when she is barking. Very affectionate and adores the children.

Likes to tease us.

So far we are very happy. If she stays the course I would say this is going to be our best dog.

She was pointing at 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Kayla only barks when someone knocks on the front door or our other dog starts barking, silent otherwise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts