Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've shot hand me downs and new guns in past seasons. For this one I've picked up three 20 ga doubles, all field grades with 28" barrels. The first was an Ithaca Flues that's super light and whippy. It was a bargain gun and I was planning on shooting it until I bought these two beauties on Wednesday. A 95% condition 1929 Ithaca NID and a minty LC Smith made in 1947. It will be a difficult decision on opening day.:D

http://rmlucas.com/NIDLC125.JPG

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Nice looking pieces........why not shot them both...ya know double handed from the hip thats how John Wayne would do it.

What are they choked at?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice looking pieces........why not shot them both...ya know double handed from the hip thats how John Wayne would do it.

What are they choked at?
I assume they are essentially Mod/Full. I didn't bother to gauge them but will. Unless they are full/full I will leave them as is. LOP on both is about standard 14 and 14 1/8 which, although a touch short for me in light clothes, is standard.

I may shoot both but they have different grip shapes, triggers and ribs and feel quite different.

I picked them both up a Cabela's Hammond. The NID was listed at $3000 and the LC at I believe $5000 which was typical hyper inflated Cabela's pricing. I stopped to browse and use the bathroom on the way back from Ft. Wayne and found that they'd reduced them to $1199 and $1999 respectively which are IMO good and very fair prices for two very high condition guns in the desirable gauge and barrel length. I basically grabbed them and started the paperwork. I'd examined both previously.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Don't have pictures, but I have been shooting my Dad's 1947 Stevens 12g double for years (28" barrels, full/modified chokes). Had to replace both firing pins two years ago, but otherwise in VG condition. Only advice from Gunsmith was to not use high power loads. Fits me like a glove, love shooting it. Should I consider having it appraised, or just keep enjoying it?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Stevens are good shooters but don't have as much collector appeal. 12 ga guns have a lot less value than small gauges because there were so many more of them built. The smaller gauges also often had 26" barrels so 28 and longer are harder to find. Keep shooting it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Inherited my granddad's 16 ga stevens double, just for kicks went out with it at our cabin in between gladwin and westbranch with the neighbor and his britt and my gsp...dogs got birdy, locked up ,the pat flushed and i swung and dropped it in the cutover,,,,felt as if gramps was looking over my shoulder and I swore I heard him say "nice shot mike " from up above.....never had a shot feel soooo right than that....

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I rotate through 3.
20ga Ithaca NID, 16ga Ithaca NID and a 16ga Fox sterlingworth.

The 16 NID is my go to gun, it shoots right where I point it, unfortunately I don't point in in the right place all of the time.:)

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
I'll take this old gal for a walk thru the thickets this Fall sooner or later.

1910 "OO" grade LC Smith 20 gauge.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I have a Francotte Guild Gun (12 bore) that was My Dads. Shot alot of Ducks and Pheasants back in the day with it. It finnaly loosened up so bad, it's not safe. Still reisides in the safe and gets wiped down regularily (lots of memories). Do carry a 20 bore Fox mod. B on occation, but the Uggie 28 gets the nod most of the time. C-man

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Not sure what constitutes a "vintage double" as it regards this post but I will be dove shooting in Indiana and pheasant hunting in SD this year with my 1953 Browning Superposed solid rib 12 ga.:

It was originally M/F but I had the chokes opened up to IC/M and had the monoblock re-struck to reflect this plus I had the receiver re-built and I re-finished the stock. When I bought the gun someone had cut the stock to 13 1/2" including the recoil pad. I had to have a spacer put in and a new pad (some photos don't show these alterations.)

The checkering on the panels is not factory but tastefully done nonetheless.

Hoppe's no.10

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Nice pic. Especially like the one with the 97, paper shells, tweed cap etc. Nicely composed.

Hoppe's no.10

1 - 16 of 16 Posts