Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1977 Cheetah, runs good, but blows blue smoke like no tomorrow! I'm using Arctic Cat 2 cycle in it at 20:1 mix (I think that sounds pretty rich, but that's what the manual and sticker on the machine says). Why is it smoking so much? I bought it a few years ago from the original owner, I don't remember it smoking that much when I first bought it....

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Fishfoote said:
I've got a 1977 Cheetah, runs good, but blows blue smoke like no tomorrow! I'm using Arctic Cat 2 cycle in it at 20:1 mix (I think that sounds pretty rich, but that's what the manual and sticker on the machine says). Why is it smoking so much? I bought it a few years ago from the original owner, I don't remember it smoking that much when I first bought it....
Your runn'ner to rich! Two cycle oil back in the seventy's wasnt what it is today. With today's oils you only need to run a 40:1 to 50:1 mix. ;)

·
Registered
959 Posts
At what temp outside does this blow smoke? the warmer the temp the richer it will be. You might check and see what jet is in the carb. I had a eltiger 500 and had to switch jets like underwear because it would be cold in the am and by noon she would be blowing smoke like a skeeter fogger.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been in the 30's when I've run it this year - but again, I don't think it smoked like this when I first got it. I don't know much about small engines, was wondering if it had anything to do with the carb...possibly?

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Called a buddy who knows Cats..... He runs all his relics on either Arctic Cat injection/premix oil or Golden Spectro, runs at 40;1 for the aircooled, and unless its injected its 50;1 for the liquids. He say's you can run the fan cooled/aircooled engines at 50:1 if your not lake race'n them. Free airs run warm no matter what, run those at 40:1

He also mentioned if your running the older Walbro "pumper" carbs you might have a internal leak causing excess fuel into the engine, it will usually wanna load up when going slow.....

Happy Sleddin! :)

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Hey, never thought to ask. Just kinda assumed you'd know better but your not runnin old gas from last year are you? That'll cause more smoke than a damp load of punky poplar!

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know if it has a Walbro carb - any identifying features I should look for? Yes, I'm running last year's stablized gas..

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Fishfoote said:
I don't know if it has a Walbro carb - any identifying features I should look for? Yes, I'm running last year's stablized gas..
If its been in the sled since last year, stbiled or not that'll cause'er to smoke that's for sure! Before you do or change anything I'd mix up a fresh five gallon can at 40:1, drain the old stuff out and filler'up and run it! Should be fine! ;)

·
Premium Member
14,961 Posts
if a plug is fouling that will blow lots of smoke as well as running bad.
If your running to much oil mix than the plugs will be loaded with a thick black color. Nornal plugs will be slightly black but more like a dark grey.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
try sierra low ash 2 stroke oil.stopped our 1975 115 evinrude from smoking and ran great. i just think i need to buy u a measuring cup

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
My 77 Jag 340 has a sticker on it saying 20:1. Like posted above, early day oils arent like what they are today. I mix mine 32:1 for 2 reasons. 1- it is a free air engine, and 2- I am usually using it to pull my fishing equipment on the saginaw bay 3-6 miles. Extra oil will make it smoke but not enough oil will make it burn.:sad: Dont mix it too lean if youre gonna work it especially in warmer temps.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input, I probably do need to drain the gas. I was thinking about it last night..that gas or at least most of it is two years old! Probably throwing away a good investment at today's prices:( I'll try the 32:1 mix and see what comes of it. It does run like a champ, just don't want to wear a rebreather to ride it...

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Fishfoote said:
Thanks for the input, I probably do need to drain the gas. I was thinking about it last night..that gas or at least most of it is two years old! Probably throwing away a good investment at today's prices:( I'll try the 32:1 mix and see what comes of it. It does run like a champ, just don't want to wear a rebreather to ride it...
I've got all my stuff (2-chainsaws, 2-weedwackers, leafblower, 3-snowblowers) running on a 40:1 mix, even though they call for anywhere from 20:1 to 50:1 mix. I switched to using a good synthetic (Klotz) oil and have not had any issues with either fouling or melt downs. Even though I'm running year round I do about once a year, usually in the spring after snowblower season I'll "recycle" my mixed stuff and start fresh. I take it (about 3 to 5 gallons) and dump into the car/truck then fill the car up with regular. I've never had a problem with the car/truck burning it! I do this even though I've gone to putting "stable" in my gas cans year round. I just figure it's good turn the stock every once in awhile.

I have a buddy who does the same but swears by Amsoil. I've been reading about some newer stuff call "Blue Marble" that sounds interesting as the same oil you mix with can be run in oil injection systems as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts