Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I shot this sick deer. I called the DNR and they sent an officer out to take the deer to Lansing for disease testing. I didn't get any meat from this deer so thought I would take the time and make a video. I think the shot and deer falling down is worth sharing anyways. Keep in mind I am no expert by any means on deer disease! Looking forward to hearing your comments. Thanks for watching.

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
Good job taking that poor animal out.That was a lot more humane then what old Ma Nature would have had in store for her.Did the DNR issue you a new tag?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Nice Vid and info.

But more importantly, your ethics, sportsmanship, and being a good steward of the resources is on full display. To me this is more impressive than a trophy rack.

Hope you don’t mind, I’m going to use your vid as a teaching aid for my son and nephew. They are at the age and point in their hunting life where there is more to hunting than a kill.

Great Job

·
Premium Member
9,931 Posts
I walked upon a 4 pt many years ago way before TB or CWD it stood there 15 ft away and would not move just wagged its tail constantly .I went back to the house and got my 22 and walked 5 ft up to it and put it down . There were no marks on it but it had lost a lot of weight .I doubt back then the dnr would have been interested but I buried it to be sure .Now I would have done it as you did .

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yesterday I shot this sick deer. I called the DNR and they sent an officer out to take the deer to Lansing for disease testing. I didn't get any meat from this deer so thought I would take the time and make a video. I think the shot and deer falling down is worth sharing anyways. Keep in mind I am no expert by any means on deer disease! Looking forward to hearing your comments. Thanks for watching.

I CAN'T tell for sure but judging by it size and head shape I wonder if it might be a sick yearling. Nice shot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a pretty good video. What kind of camera was that and how was it mounted?

Good job taking the deer out of the herd!
The camera is an old contour roam. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/162269785548?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
I have it mounted on the side of my head with an elastic band like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELASTIC-HEA...hash=item5190d558a6:m:mtWT6AQQQFlxMXOHPieWWLg
It took a bit of practice to get the positioning correct but it is pretty simple and quick setup when there is already enough to think about with bow hunting. Been using it for years to record some memories.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope you don’t mind, I’m going to use your vid as a teaching aid for my son and nephew. They are at the age and point in their hunting life where there is more to hunting than a kill.

Great Job
Of course I don't mind. Thanks for the kind words!

Good job taking that poor animal out.That was a lot more humane then what old Ma Nature would have had in store for her.Did the DNR issue you a new tag?
Yes I was issued a new tag. I was very happy the DNR did that and it has been great dealing with them through the process.

Update: the DNR office called me today for a bit more information. The guy on the phone also confirmed that it doesn't look like CWD to him but Lansing would confirm. Also with his experience he would guess the deer probably had pneumonia since it was coughing.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
The camera is an old contour roam. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/162269785548?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
I have it mounted on the side of my head with an elastic band like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELASTIC-HEA...hash=item5190d558a6:m:mtWT6AQQQFlxMXOHPieWWLg
It took a bit of practice to get the positioning correct but it is pretty simple and quick setup when there is already enough to think about with bow hunting. Been using it for years to record some memories.
Nice! Looks like it works good! I tried mounting my GoPro to my bow earlier this season and shot a doe with it on there. I thought I would be able to see impact but because the bow just went off it was blurry and it just didn't work very well. I've aborted that set up and am looking for a better way!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Friend of mine shot this one last gun season. When we walked up to it I thought we found someone else's deer that had been laying in the woods for a couple weeks. DNR took it for testing, but he never got an answer about it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.