Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally , aftr reading all of the good things about the flasher I baught one yesterday. It is only the FL-8SLT but it is better than the one I had, which was non. MC had a sale that I could not pass on, and my wife said it was to good of a deal also (man she is awesome) So can anyone offer any tips to get me started.
Of course it is automatic now, correct. I just put the ice ducer in the hole ad watch the fish jump out into my bucket?!?!?

flydunker

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
flydunker

I recently made the plunge as well, Spent my X-mas $$$ and my winnings from my fantasy football league and went all out and bought the FL-18. I am pretty excited to use it. This weekend will be the trail run on Lake St Helen searching for crappie. I think it should be a good asset jigging for eyes on the Sagnasty as well.

I learned alot about the unit by going to Vexilars web site. They have several articles and how to tips.

Check it out!
Vexilar Web Site

·
Registered
219 Posts
I too went vexilar this winter, and have had a chance to use the 8se a few times. It works just like the instruction video that Dave Genz does that comes with the machine. I watched that, packed up and used the machine. First time a crappie showed up and then hit my lure, I had a twelve inch smile!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i did not receive a video with the one I purchased. Right now I am building a holder for it to carry onto the ice. I can not wait to use it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I Have a video that came with my old fl-8. I can see if I can copy it and send you it If that would help you!

chad1

·
Registered
674 Posts
One thing you need to do is adjust the gain until your bait/lure shows as a green or orange mark. Not red. You need to re-adjust for different size lures. Thr reason you don't want any more of a mark that green or orange is it may confuse you as to when a fish is on you bait or not. You want a red mark to mean fish only. I usually am walleye fishing, and with the size of lures I use, I cannot recall having to have the gain over 1.5 except in water over 40 ft. or so. Stained water may require you to set it a little higher also. But basically, start on "0" and adjust the gain higher until you see you bait as I tried to explain it at the beginning. I've had mine (same model) over 10 yrs. and love it. Couldn't imagine fishing without it. It's a big help when you now fish are there but they won't bite. Just means change baits until you find what they want, or move the bait in a particular way that you see that they like.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
just got my "S" cable in the mail today. hope to try it out this weekend i know without in 10-15 fow its hard to get your lure the right color on the screen the fl-8's dont have a low power setting. the suppression cable will do that for ya then you can get that lure down to one green line. we will see and ill report its success or failure:D

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I had to get the S cable also...Unit worked great but up north walleye fishing in the shallows..4-6ft. deep with weeds it was too clutered!.....In Lake St.Clair you can have it adjusted so your teardrop and spike is orange...have a gill come in and hit it...gill goes away and your mark is now green...you just lost your spike!!! Excellent machine!!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
congratulations on your purchases flydunker and riverboy

youre absolutely gonna love what this thing can do for you...its almost not fair to the fish

krt pretty much summed up the key to using it...lowest gain possible, just enough to see your bait in green bars....

youre gonna trip out the first time you see your bait change from green to orange then to red!!!

ive had one since last year and its one of the coolest things i own

enjoy the season and catch a bunch (actually, youre gonna catch bunches, now that you have "the weapon")

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hey Ozzgood I'll be watching for that update on the s-cable. I've had my vex for a couple of years now and I love it. The only time I wasn't satisfied with it's performance is in very shallow water.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Not to repeat over and over again, but I have to say you will love your Vexilar. I own the older FL-8 model and have had it for four years. The battery has never had to be replaced and has never died on the ice. The unit shows fish so well that you will realized that you will now know for sure that you just can't catch em'! Just kidding! Walleyes, gills, crappies, perch, the whole bunch have responded to my methods much better siince I got one. You will know whether to jig rapidly or just let it sit depending on whether the fish hit when you jig or whether they swim away and return when the jigging stops. I would have to say, however, that it is the best for suspended fish. More times than not last year, I was catching crappies in 30 ft. of water only 10 ft. down. How would you ever know that if you didn't have a flasher? Also, what else can see a teardrop with a spike 40 feet down? This thing is awesome. And a cure for the shallow water problem for me has been that just when the unit is too shallow to work well, you realize that you can see the fish right in the hole.
Sorry for being so long winded, but I just wanted to show my excitement for this sweet machine! Also, remember to push your yellow interference button if you have clutter, it helps.

My catch doubled when I got the FL-8. Best of luck to you.

Casey

·
Registered
674 Posts
Another tip. I bought mine with a pro pack. This is a great package because everything fits in the bottom of a bucket and it is a good safe way to transport it without out it getting damaged. I did notice after a while my transducer was getting pretty scratched up. It still worked but I just didn't like the idea of that happening. It seems that the foam that held the transducer in the pack didn't keep it from hitting the plastic on the bottom. I added some more foam so that it suspended the transducer and that took care of the problem. I just wish I had noticed this problem earlier. I would check to see if you are going to have a similar problem before there is any damage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts