Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever volunteer for this event? With two boys playing travel baseball, it is a very busy time of the year, but I would love to help out for some veterans if it is a good event.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
649 Posts
I signed up to take a couple guys out this yr. Neighbor kid is a Vet and he too is taking out 3 or 4 guys. Sounds like too good of a cause to pass up

MI88

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Here is the link to their Facebook page......

I'm in!

Marty

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have taken 2 vets out each year. It’s a great time to help a fellow vet that doesn’t have the ways or means to fish. You do not have to be a Charter boat capt, and both times the vets I took were very appreciative. We caught fish, met new friends, and enjoyed the camaraderie. There was a huge fish fry with all the fixins at the end of the day and everyone went home happy.
When you Donate you give a little bit of your wages, but when you volunteer you give a little bit of your life. I always keep that in Mind Just my .02

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just signed up and will be taking my dad as one of the veterans on my boat. There are 69 boats registered as of today.

Reactions: gatorman841

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Can anyone explain how they accommodate docking for this many boats after the event?
Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
834 Posts
Can anyone explain how they accommodate docking for this many boats after the event?
Thanks
Jay
I was thinking the same thing, but I imagine where theres a will theres a way! I was thinking about participating. I will be reaching out to the staff for more details I will let you know what I find out at the Swap!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks
Jay
I have wondered the same thing. My guess is a scheduled launch out of SSP?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I sent an email to the organizer about docking/launching accommodations. Ill post the reply as soon as received.

Anyone done this in the past?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I sent an email to the organizer about docking/launching accommodations. Ill post the reply as soon as received.

Anyone done this in the past?
Have done it the last 2 years. Last year not so many boats as expected but with Rona running around? it was still a great time. I got a slip at the boat club last year for the weekend. Worked out pretty well. The year before (1st year) I trailered the boat to SSP.
I took a couple of vets out each time and we caught fish. They had a blast. End of the day a Big fish fry and awards. Love the camaraderie with all the vets. Maybe a little bias being an old Jarhead myself.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Here is the reply:

We have multiple marinas that have donated slips for people that want to leave their boats in the water. Most of the guys just launch at sterling state park and pick there vets up as they pass the Detroit beach boat club on their way to the lake. We have plenty of slips for guys that want to leave their boats though. All boats will stage in front of the Detroit beach boat club for the shotgun start

·
Registered
89 Posts
Anyone ever volunteer for this event? With two boys playing travel baseball, it is a very busy time of the year, but I would love to help out for some veterans if it is a good event.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great event did the first one two years ago missed last year for my sons graduation but will be back this year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts