Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always on the prowl for just the right piece of gear for my needs, and never being happy, I have come to realize that fly rods aren't the only part of this vice I have succombed to. I picked up yet another pack yesterday in hopes of finding that one pack that is "it".
I have come to the realization that the odds of running into a fantastic bull shark bite wading the mud flats of the Halloway Resivour backwaters is somewhat unlikely. Having gone back to the basics, I no longer feel the compulsion to carry quantities of big fly boxes, with 20 specialized gadgets hanging off the luggage to be ready for any possible scenario
So I picked up yet another piece of equipment yesterday.:help: :SHOCKED:

This one is as close as I have found to ideal for my needs. I'll find out today when it gets it's first run up at the resivour. I still can't seem to part with any of the close to two dozen various vests, packs and bags I have collected over the past 35 years, some of which havent fit for 30 of those years.:yikes: :lol:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=96Y1&feature_id=&dir_id=758&group_id=781&cat_id=5093&subcat_id=6670

My one big dissapointment is that there is no ring on the bag portion of this pack from which to hang a tippet dispenser, but other than that, I think this might be the ticket.
If not, somoeone will surely come out with something else soon I won't be able to live without.
I did manage to leave the store without a 9' tip flex 4 wt Zero G under my arm, but I don't think I will have the inner strenght to pull that off again.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Howdy, Paul-

You know what they say; the first step is admitting that you have a problem. :lol:

Let us know when you plan on having a yard sale for all those goodies. ;)

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I also went back to the basics I use to carry enough stuff to supply a army .no more I Carry a few things and make them work no more back aches:)

·
Super Moderator
37,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let us know when you plan on having a yard sale for all those goodies
Oh geez Les, that will never happen. Now I can justify having all this stuff around, and acquiring more, because " The boys will be able to use it one day." (They are 6 and 9):lol:

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I keep all my stuff you never know when you will need it or it will come back in style I still use a black Jitterbug and a red and white Holla Poper I bought in the 1950's

·
Registered
9,776 Posts
i have come full circle. i went from vest to packs back to vest. i damn near wanted to throw my pack in the lake last year while surf fishing. having something hanging from your chest sucks when you want to do aggressive stripping of the line, always getting in your way.

i got the tac-l pack vest from the orvis outlet store for like 53 bucks and it seems like a very nice vest

·
Super Moderator
37,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1wildchild said:
You better never complain about the wife's shoe collection!!!!;)
I have no use for her shoes, so I never look at how many there may be.
She did have a few choice words when she found her Coach station bag packed with a gps, binoculars, a topo map and compass sitting with my stuff one day when I was packing to leave on a scouting expedition. :SHOCKED: :hide:

Hey it didn't LOOK like it was meant only for persons of the female persuasion.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I've never found anything I really like either....I have a couple vests, chest pack and a orvis fanny pack with detachable chest pack....just doesn't seem to work well for me....

Funny you posted this because I had ordered a curtis joesph creel.....very similar to what you just bought......sure hope this works out

http://www.wildernessangler.com/servlet/Detail?no=219

Wilderness Angler has a bunch of stuff on clearance.....might be worth a look

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Sometimes I just like to read about the stuff Esox has bought, or is considering buying, and pretend it's me!

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Brown duck said:
Sometimes I just like to read about the stuff Esox has bought, or is considering buying, and pretend it's me!
He and Shoeman are my testers.

Next I need them to test a pack mule for me. I hate leaving something at home fearing it might just be the one.:dizzy:

·
Registered
956 Posts
ESOX said:
Now I can justify having all this stuff around, and acquiring more, because " The boys will be able to use it one day." (They are 6 and 9):lol:
I use that from time to time. I bought it for our son. It even works once in a while. :D
Jim

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
someone should start a rent a pack .then maybe I would not buy a new one every couple years. but then what would I do with all that extra money:confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, I thought I was the only who changed my mind every year. I'm on my third pack now. Gave up the vest 2 years ago after realizing I was carrying around all that extra stuff that I never used. Bought one of those Simms waterproof roll top packs; it's nice but too big, keeps sliding down the waders and I have to keep pulling it up. I'm down to one really nice big C & F Designs waterproof flybox and a Mayfly lanyard. Attached a zinger to the flybox which I just stuff in the top of my waders, cause I might of fallen a few times.... Have a waterbottle holder that goes on my wader belt. I'm sure I'll change my mind next year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts