Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This spring I had traveled to verona state game area turkey hunting and was impressed with the amount of land and game I saw and was thinking about coming back up in the fall to bowhunt it. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the area and could share with me how the deer population is over there.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Lots of land, but lots of people go to hunt there come hunting season and setup little camps at the parking areas in an attempt to claim portions of it for themselves, excluding others. That's my experience. Kind of BS. I get being able to camp on state land in the vast areas of the northern lower and upper, but think it doesn't really fit when done in parking areas of the much more land-limited SLP.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Verona is well worth looking into. Yes, you will be accompanied by other hunters, so stay mobile ( i. e., climbing tree stand) & have optional tree stand locations (pre-season scouting). Try to have the right frame of mind by not "mentally investing" in one tree stand location, because you may walk in one day & find another archer posting up 20 yards from your spot. As for me, I no longer bait on state land because that causes me to " over invest" in that one spot. I now hunt trails & see plenty of deer. As for hunters camping in the parking lots, supposedly staking their claim to the area, I'm sure their are mean ones as well as friendly ones. Personally, I've had nothing but great experiences in my encounters with them & occasionally see them year to year in the same parking lot. They usually tell me that they'll be glad to help track & drag my deer out if I need the help. (Last year, they helped trail my deer for over an hour...in the rain!). I usually just introduce myself to them, tell them where I'm intending to hunt, & if my "spot" is too close to theirs, I simply go to another pre-scouted tree stand location. Give it a shot!

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Deer numbers are still good but down over the last few years. If you can hunt Monday through Thursday you'll beat the crowd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts