Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

261 - 280 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
I think we are up to 5 in the freezer. Had some treat meat made from two of them. One went to as many roast as we could get. All but one has bacon added to the burger. That bacon does the trick for dry bland burger. One done up without bacon for tacos, chilli etc. The next one will be processed without bacon for the same.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I don't usually remember to remove the inner loins, but since last night's deer is in my garage (because there's "no room at the inn"), I cut them out this morning for breakfast. I'm not much of cook, but I can fry fish. Knowing the boy devours the "chicken nugget fish", I went that route. We killed it in short order!

20210102_085332.jpg
20210102_090638.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
I don't usually remember to remove the inner loins, but since last night's deer is in my garage (because there's "no room at the inn"), I cut them out this morning for breakfast. I'm not much of cook, but I can fry fish. Knowing the boy devours the "chicken nugget fish", I went that route. We killed it in short order!

View attachment 625423 View attachment 625425
I'll bet you remember now. Usually pull them right after gutting. Most times when warm they come out easy. Very little need for a knife..:)

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I'll bet you remember now. Usually pull them right after gutting. Most times when warm they come out easy. Very little need for a knife..:)
Yes, keeping with the Christmas theme, "tender and mild". That's a good idea, you've got there. Bring a Ziploc to the field. That would definitely make things cleaner because you'd only have to get in the ribcage once. I'll have to add that to the post-kill checklist. I just got in the habit last season of cutting the hocks for the gambrel, with a clean knife, before starting the gut job. Guess I'm a slow learner.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Yes, keeping with the Christmas theme, "tender and mild". That's a good idea, you've got there. Bring a Ziploc to the field. That would definitely make things cleaner because you'd only have to get in the ribcage once. I'll have to add that to the post-kill checklist. I just got in the habit last season of cutting the hocks for the gambrel, with a clean knife, before starting the gut job. Guess I'm a slow learner.
Yeah one more thing to remember a baggie. Pretty spoiled here bring them back to the barn for the whole gut process. So of course they are staring at me. Being in the field depending on conditions could be an easy step to miss or forget. :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
We call them "Mud Veins"
So anytime there is an inexperienced hunter that leaves them in, we make a big deal out of leaving them in, and how doing so can ruin the whole deer.
We promptly remove for them, and put them right in a pan to share with the unknowing hunter.
Always a good laugh!

View attachment 625423 View attachment 625425

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Last Wednesday I ground 4 deer (1 buck that was pretty decent size, 3 does). I freeze everything trimmed up within 3 days and it was cold (all were taken between November 15-December 26). Other than the backstrap and tenderloin everything is ground. Added 10 lbs of sirloin tip, and ended up with around 90 lbs of burger. I like lean burger, made sliders today. Really good.

I also did 10 lbs of LEM breakfast sausage (2 lbs Boston Butt and 8 lbs of boneless shoulder). That stuff is really good, as long as you like lean meat. Tastes better than anything I’ve had made except bratwurst.

I picked up the 3/4 horse Carnivore grinder last spring in time to do the 2019 deer. So the savings has it half paid for, no gas running to a processor and no grinding/packaging fees.

261 - 280 of 415 Posts