Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in west Michigan and looking for a new place to have sausage sticks done. Probably not the large 4 pound ones but individual sticks. Anyone have any recommendations for a good place that does them?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Mikes Processing in Allendale has a larger variety of choices of flavors and they store good as well.

I also like Frank's in Grand Haven ,but their hot shots don't freeze well. Something about the casing they use creates a funky taste no matter how they are frozen. This would be my first choice if they froze better. I like to get a full deer done every year and it is unfortunate I can't get them to freeze good.

I also make a lot myself with the seasonings from PS seasonings. The Jalepeno one is very good

·
Registered
96 Posts
Recipe or brand for spice mix? I have a bunch of trim but am terrified of using a recipe/brand that will suck.
I've always liked LEM products. Original Snack Stick seasoning mix is excellent. Also like their summer sausage mix, bratwurst and keilbasa seasonings. Mix high temp cheese into with the snack sticks and Summer sausages.
Food Product Ingredient Recipe Font

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
After purchasing kits and seasonings from Cabelas I realized that they were actually seasonings from P S Seasoning so I now purchase directly from P S Seasonings and cut out the middle man.

I have also purchased from LEM and have received great products and customer service from both.

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Anyone use a dehydrator to make snack sticks? My smoker can make a pitiful amount at a time, but i have a large dehydrator I can use.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Not sure where in West Michigan but I’ve had them done by big-o smokehouse in Caledonia and they were good.

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
Mikes Processing in Allendale has a larger variety of choices of flavors and they store good as well.

I also like Frank's in Grand Haven ,but their hot shots don't freeze well. Something about the casing they use creates a funky taste no matter how they are frozen. This would be my first choice if they froze better. I like to get a full deer done every year and it is unfortunate I can't get them to freeze good.

I also make a lot myself with the seasonings from PS seasonings. The Jalepeno one is very good
Mikes was my go to for snack stix when I lived in holland. Even after I moved back to the east side of the state I had him do a few batches of snack stix. I would swing by there when traveling for work. He made some good jerky for me once too.

·
Registered
888 Posts

I like this place the best around the GR area.

·
Registered
13,936 Posts
Recipe or brand for spice mix? I have a bunch of trim but am terrified of using a recipe/brand that will suck.
I found out all the ones from cabelas are pretty good. High mountain anything turns out pretty well. Can always add high temp cheese, jalapeños as well

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
I ordered a couple different seasonings from PS seasonings. They offered a 15% discount for first time orders if you sign up for emails. I have 15~ lbs of venison trim and 10~ lbs of wild pork I want to turn into snack sticks.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
HANDS DOWN!!

Zick's in Berrien Springs, well worth the drive. You can take frozen meat that has been cleaned and in see through bags. They have the best stuff.

Dave

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
If you decide ti try it yourself I have been making this for 40 years and have never had anyone not like it. I make it in rolls or with casing. Enjoy.....
Venison Summer Sausage recipe.... 4lbs venison burger & 1lb hamburger. 8tsp Morton Tender Quick (meat cure) 3tsp mustard seed,1 1/2tsp crushed red pepper flakes, 3tsp onion powder, 3tsp garlic powder, 2tsp black pepper, 2tsp white sugar, 3tsp brown sugar 3/4 bottle of liquid smoke (3.5 oz bottle) mix dry ingredients together then in a large bowl mix venison & burger together then (another set of hands help) sprinkle dry mix and a couple shots of lqd smoke get your hands in and mix well, sprinkle mix and lqd smoke mix well, sprinkle and mix well. Place in glass bowl cover with plastic and re fridge 24 hrs. Knead well form. "In The Smoker" apple & hickory wood 225-235 degrees 2 1/2 hrs turn another 1 1/2 hrs - 2 1/2 hrs. "In The Oven" place on a broiler pan 225 degrees and crack oven door 2 1/5 hrs turn and another 1 1/2 hrs - 2 1/2 temps vary so I do internal temp 165.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
If you decide ti try it yourself I have been making this for 40 years and have never had anyone not like it. I make it in rolls or with casing. Enjoy.....
Venison Summer Sausage recipe.... 4lbs venison burger & 1lb hamburger. 8tsp Morton Tender Quick (meat cure) 3tsp mustard seed,1 1/2tsp crushed red pepper flakes, 3tsp onion powder, 3tsp garlic powder, 2tsp black pepper, 2tsp white sugar, 3tsp brown sugar 3/4 bottle of liquid smoke (3.5 oz bottle) mix dry ingredients together then in a large bowl mix venison & burger together then (another set of hands help) sprinkle dry mix and a couple shots of lqd smoke get your hands in and mix well, sprinkle mix and lqd smoke mix well, sprinkle and mix well. Place in glass bowl cover with plastic and re fridge 24 hrs. Knead well form. "In The Smoker" apple & hickory wood 225-235 degrees 2 1/2 hrs turn another 1 1/2 hrs - 2 1/2 hrs. "In The Oven" place on a broiler pan 225 degrees and crack oven door 2 1/5 hrs turn and another 1 1/2 hrs - 2 1/2 temps vary so I do internal temp 165.

What brand of liquid smoke are you using, some of that stuff is very potent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts