Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not at the dinner table, but who's gonna be out deer hunting on Thanksgiving Day ?

I know a lot of people are on the road to friends & family and don't get to make it out and others do. I plan to be out there tommorrow as a tradition and hope a few guys will be out pushing em around on the nearby Waterloo state land.

I'm also wondering who's been successful on Thanksgiving day in the past ?

Any way, Good luck to all and I want to wish everyone a safe and Happy Thanksgiving Day

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I'll be out. I've taken 4 deer the last 5 years on Thanksgiving....definitely something to be thankful for!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
You bet I will be out. Two years ago shot my largest buck on Thanksgiving. It's a new tradition for me seeing every year I am the only one that doesn't care to miss the Lion's game.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In SW Mich I'll be out in the morning. stuffing myself at 1:00 at mom's out in the evening then heading up to big rapids to meet two friend's and hunt up there through the W/E

·
Registered
82 Posts
I usually do, but the weather is suppose to be terrible. They are calling for high winds and snow. But if I can get out there I will.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'll be out for the morning and the weather is going to be bad. Will try to use this as an advantage. Find a track in the fresh snow, track it down and fill a doe tag or remaining restricted license. At least thats the plan.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I thought about putting a small venison roast in the oven with the turkey so I will have the best of both worlds. As for the hunting, I will be pheasant hunting on Friday hoping to do some muzzle loading but my Dad has to work on sat. but I will be out on the 17-18 of Dec. for the muzzle loading season and that will probley be the end of my deer season. Then for new years weekend I will be heading North again to try my luck at ice fishing. :)

fulldraw

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
It's gonna be 24degrees here in Grand Rapids with winds from 25-35 and wind chill of 3-8 degrees. I just bought some electric socks and some insulated goretex gloves, so I hope I can actually withstand the cold until 3ish

I'm bummed because I'll be out there solo and won't have anybody to do a midday push for the last hurrah of gun season for me. I know there's a BIG one in the area and that's probably the ONLY reason, I'm going to even attempt the bitter cold. I'll make up a big thermos of homemade Mocha to warm up my insides for the first few hours.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I will definitely be out in the stand on thanksgiving. Last year shot my first buck on thanksgiving, and this year got my first bow kill on halloween, needless to say i'm loving the holidays.

Joel

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I'll be out - in spirit only. Family duties will keep me out of the woods on Thursday and Friday but I'll be out on Saturday. Ten or 12 years ago I whacked a doe on Thankssgiving morning. Four or 5 years ago I got one Thanksgiving weekend. On state land in SE Mich I don't see too many deer after opening day/weekend. Good luck and happy Thanksgiving, John-Ypsi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts