Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
14,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good plugger. I've been experimenting with different cuts of meat this year.

There is so much more than tenderloins and backstraps and I still dont know what I am doing. View attachment 869682
When your doing your own processing it opens up new worlds. The top and bottom round makes great swiss steak. You can also slice thick for what we call Grilling steak. At the top of the hind quarters, kid of buried by the pelvic bone, is some tender meat that is great for stir fry or stroganoff. Some people braise the shanks whole. We use a hacksaw and cut rounds off the shanks for ossco bucco.
It looks like you have done a good job separating the muscles and trimmed well. A clean job.

You probably have a good idea of age of your animal and some Idea how tender it might be. We generally grill the tender loins before processing the rest of the deer and so we have a good idea how tender it will be.

· Registered
6,492 Posts
Looks good plugger. I've been experimenting with different cuts of meat this year.

There is so much more than tenderloins and backstraps and I still dont know what I am doing. View attachment 869682
You’re absolutely right! There’s a recipe in the cooking forum for venison pastrami that is a MUST try! You’ll thank me (and the OP) later.

· Registered
2,289 Posts
I love this! When we were processing Bonnie cubed up some for what she calls “Beef Tips”.
View attachment 869667

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
I may be your biggest food fan on this site !!
You and Bonnie have given me (us) so many good ideas for venison!
I love it !!

· Premium Member
14,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may be your biggest food fan on this site !!
You and Bonnie have given me (us) so many good ideas for venison!
I love it !!
Having lots of recipes or ways to fix venison lets you use lots of venison. People ask us, 'How do you use so many deer? don't you get tired of the same thing"? Because we have so many ways to fix it, it's not the same thing all the time.

· Registered
2,358 Posts
Looks exactly like the tips I made a week ago when I was home. I definitely like fresh cubed recipe better because the meat gets great flavor while simmering and the whole mushrooms get the flavor. If I'm in a hurry canned venison works very well in this recipe. You just don't have to simmer as long.

· Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
3,851 Posts
My son who. is a chef, corned some venison one time. it was great. I don't know what cut he used. if I remember right he made some venison pastrami one time also.
I’ve got 2 of them football shaped sirloin Corning now, couples more days and they hit the grill and will be pastrami.Good stuff for sure.

· Premium Member
19,599 Posts
My son who. is a chef, corned some venison one time. it was great. I don't know what cut he used. if I remember right he made some venison pastrami one time also.
Corned and pastrami venison are one of my favorites. It's a lot of fun preparing good tasting meals with those little critters.

· Premium Member
19,599 Posts
Having lots of recipes or ways to fix venison lets you use lots of venison. People ask us, 'How do you use so many deer? don't you get tired of the same thing"? Because we have so many ways to fix it, it's not the same thing all the time.
Exactly right! I'm constantly looking for new dishes to try.

· Registered
3,814 Posts
Corned and pastrami venison are one of my favorites. It's a lot of fun preparing good tasting meals with those little critters.
I have some corned venison made every year, it's delicious.

· Premium Member
8,381 Posts
Wild Thing
One year I was helping cook at a wild game dinner. I saw there were 3 buffalo roasts that had been donated. I told the *** that was the head cook "You are not going to make spaghetti out of those roasts!" I made a 30-mile round trip to get my pans to cook them. We ended up with three platters of roasts. Two went on the table for the attendees. The other one we kept in the kitchen.

I suddenly realized there were two in the kitchen. I said , "Where did this platter come from?" One of the guys said, " This is too good for those guys!"

It is a sweet tasting meat.

· Premium Member
12,630 Posts
I love this! When we were processing Bonnie cubed up some for what she calls “Beef Tips”.
View attachment 869667

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
I cube up about 3 packages and mark it as "stew meat" but that is what we use it for! Delicious.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts