Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'll guess that the taxidermist will freeze dry the velvet. If there was blood then it has probably dried too much to inject.

I'm also curious on this wound, is it anywhere near his testicles? Maybe it severed his urethra (probably not the correct name but I didn't need those search cookies on my phone) and prevented testosterone from getting to his body.

I also don't blame you on not eating it, if a professional processor says it's not good then walk away.
Yes I believe his velvet is totally void of blood so I believe that’s a good thing in preserving the antlers.

The wound was right on top near his spine right between his two hams. It was a long slice about 3-4” long. Wish I would’ve taken a pic of it.

On my way to the taxi. Meeting him at 2

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
In case anyone is interested:

View attachment 610687
Lab taxi gonna save me the jaw so we can take a look.

Good news is taxi said it looks like velvet is bone dry. Shouldn’t be any maintenance. He doesn’t think this buck has dropped his rack in quite some time. He’s been doing taxidermy almost 50 yrs and hasn’t recalled doing a deer quite like him. He’s letting it defrost and will hit me back up tomorrow with the final verdict. As of right now I’m doing a right hand shoulder mount with ears kicked back a touch. Man cave reservation awaits.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Good decision, all the way around. Will be a super-cool addition to the basement floor.

Did you get him to pull the teeth while you were there?

Reactions: sniper

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
I would actually put em on a pedestal ? You've got a LOT of great bucks but are any on a pedestal mount ? My buddy did something real bad ass with 3 of his bucks. I'll see if I can find picture.....

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
For reference, I found him dead Sept 15, some 25 years ago. Flipped him over, no sign of a wound anywhere. He was stiff, but pretty fresh. I figured hit by a car and limped to where he died. I was disappointed, wouldn't get to hunt him. This before cams, no idea he was around.
There was fresh blood where the velvet was split. Obviously in the process of coming off. It's been in the garage since.
I'd mount yours, very unique, nice buck.
Velvet 10.jpg

·
Registered
8,718 Posts
Congrats on a very unique buck. I'd do a shoulder mount, but definitely some type of mount, jmho.

Reactions: sniper

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Good decision, all the way around. Will be a super-cool addition to the basement floor.

Did you get him to pull the teeth while you were there?
Lab he’s gonna give me the jaw when he starts disassembling him for the mount. He was frozen stiff when I dropped him off.

Side note:
The Taxidermist I’m using this year had not one, but two Michigan (let me stress two )free ranging bucks that both grossed over 200 inches he’s working on!! Michigan hunting is getting better guys. It is. A lot of these big buck guys are keeping these kills quiet. Until now of course! Lol Unbelievable bucks. He does Taxidermy for a living, and he’ll finish close to a hundred mounts this year along with countless euro and plaque mounts. Big bucks were everywhere in his shop.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
My taxidermist didn't recommend this. Couldn't guarantee that the velvet would stay intact from all the steam during the boiling process.
I would highly recommend you look into a new taxidermist. Many velvet mounts can't be saved by the time they make it to the shop. That's what a flocking gun is for. If your guy doesn't know that, I'd get a new guy. It's not exactly taxidermy 101, but it's not a Master's degree level either. Just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Lab he’s gonna give me the jaw when he starts disassembling him for the mount. He was frozen stiff when I dropped him off.

Side note:
The Taxidermist I’m using this year had not one, but two Michigan (let me stress two )free ranging bucks that both grossed over 200 inches he’s working on!! Michigan hunting is getting better guys. It is. A lot of these big buck guys are keeping these kills quiet. Until now of course! Lol Unbelievable bucks. He does Taxidermy for a living, and he’ll finish close to a hundred mounts this year along with countless euro and plaque mounts. Big bucks were everywhere in his shop.

10-4. Apologize for the badgering. You have more confidence in the taxi than do I.

A 200 incher must be quite a sight! :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
18" g2 :dizzy: sneak a picture next trip....;)
I kept insinuating that that deer was fake. After the second time of this he made it very clear to me that deer was the real deal. One deer grossed 205 and the other was 201. The 205 left side was very non typical. Both shot in zone 3

41 - 59 of 59 Posts