Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with this.

In Michigan is it possible to "Legally" own a vehicle (titled in one persons name) yet registered and insured in another persons name.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
Actually it can be done, or at least used to be able to. What is a person who has a chauffeur do? Not sure how it works up there anymore, but it was possible at one time. BTW, the best way to find out would be one of either two phone calls, either the SOS office, or your insurance office. I am assuming the vehicle is paid off, no loan on it??

·
Premium Member
30,327 Posts
No. The vehicle is registered to the owner on the title for plates on the titled vehicle. Call your insurance agent to learn if you can obtain insurance on a vehicle owned by another person.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
No. The vehicle is registered to the owner on the title for plates on the titled vehicle. Call your insurance agent to learn if you can obtain insurance on a vehicle owned by another person.
Correct, I looked into this with my mothers car once she was not able to drive any longer. The title/registration stays in her name but I was able to purchase insurance under my policy.

·
Premium Member
30,327 Posts
Correct, I looked into this with my mothers car once she was not able to drive any longer. The title/registration stays in her name but I was able to purchase insurance under my policy.
I remember that my uncle used to buy his vehicles through my cousin's Ford A-plan. The vehicle had to stay in her name for a period of time before she could transfer it to my uncle. He was able to insure it through AAA in his name.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
It can be done, just be prepared to possibly loose out on certain current discounts. I did the same thing with my new vehicle, (tittle was in dads name for 6 months) it was a more expensive route than insuring when the vehicle is in your name directly.
I also learned that if you just add yourself as a rider on dads policy, and don't carry your own policy your insurance will go through the roof when you decide to get your own new policy. Insurance companies will sock it to you if you don't maintain constant insurance on any kind of vehicle. Mine would have been double, even with 800 plus credit and no tickets or accidents.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This isn't my situation so I'm not gonna call my insurance agent.

The situation involves someone I know that has bigger problems......

Thanks for the comments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts