Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, started off buying my new 07 license for the woodchucks I just knew would be about.
Came home grabbed 2 boxes of 204 Ruger cal ammo [Win 34 gr HP] and started on my trek. Oh, and I did call Woodchucksniper before this hunt. He wasnt of the opin there would be any out. BIG mistake.
I got my gear out of the Blazer, passed the farmer in an enclosed tractor and exchanged pleasantries.
I made it to the rear of the barns and spied a chuck at 244 yards LRF.......quickly lay out the bipod and slipped a 34 gr HP to the victim. DOA.
I walked out and examined the critter. A nice 13lb male.
I see some turkeys and geese and a few ducks along the property. I see another chuck at LRF 74 yards. I slip an off hand shot and it ceases life.
Another male [11-1/2 lbs].
I wander back towards the barns, and see 2 dogs running about.......no idea whose they are. They ran across the farm and out of my way. I see one last chuck digging but yet visible at near 273 yards LRF.
I look for a patch of high ground and spied some. I crawled toward it and kicked the bipod legs out. Centered the varmint in the Burris scope squeezed the trigger and there was No3 chuck laying out stoned dead.
What a day for chucking!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Nice shooting. Way to stack them up.

Are you hunting the same farms or are you hunting a few different. Seems like you should of wiped out the population as many as you have been shooting over the years. ;) The place must of been infested with them. The farmer should start seeing a increase in bean production soon... :lol:

Kev

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I don't know about wiping the population out. 'chucks are excellent reproducers. We only have 80 acres and usually 1/2 of that is beans and it has produced 10-20 chucks a year for a real long time.

I've always thought it would be a good idea to let a few go early in the spring so there would be some small targets later in the summer but risk to the beans isn't worth it. Nothing looks worse in a bean field than a bare spot caused by a chuck. They wipe out a few rows in no time.

Nice shooting Huntsman. I'm stepping up from the .22 mag to .243 Win this year so I'm hoping to get some longer kills.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kevlar said:
Nice shooting. Way to stack them up.

Are you hunting the same farms or are you hunting a few different. Seems like you should of wiped out the population as many as you have been shooting over the years. ;) The place must of been infested with them. The farmer should start seeing a increase in bean production soon... :lol:

Kev
or so and theres a couple more sections also. It doesnt matter how many we take, there always back. Id say I take an average of 25-30 a year off myself. I know a few others that hunt there too.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mparks said:
I don't know about wiping the population out. 'chucks are excellent reproducers. We only have 80 acres and usually 1/2 of that is beans and it has produced 10-20 chucks a year for a real long time.

I've always thought it would be a good idea to let a few go early in the spring so there would be some small targets later in the summer but risk to the beans isn't worth it. Nothing looks worse in a bean field than a bare spot caused by a chuck. They wipe out a few rows in no time.

Nice shooting Huntsman. I'm stepping up from the .22 mag to .243 Win this year so I'm hoping to get some longer kills.
They can strip areas bare quickly. When I came back in the Farmer told me he had just seen one scamper away from his bags of seed. He asked if I might bring the 22LR and sniper this guy, if that bag gets opened he fears they will come raiding!
I understand using other calibers. Ive had the 22-250 out, and the 204, next is that HB Rem M-700 Varmint in 243.....
Seeing that bright sun this morning, I believe Ill tramp out there again for a look around.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Ha im at work and its a bit cold for me to enjoy chuch hunting :) i like those nice sunny days... being a little warmer helps too..... sounds like you are getting some good practice in before the trip though. Lucky dog... im still saving my pennys... that 204 is shaping up to be a pretty nice caliber, a lot of people seem to like it. Nice shooting and lets hear it if you do sneak one out today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts