Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where have the toms gone?
My daughter is still trying but they seem to all left the county. She called in three toms on Tuesday but they wouldn't give her a shot.
Since then we have heard only one gobble and he was far away, she heard it, I don't hear that well.
We have hens and jakes in our yard but the toms have stopped coming.
Any ideas?:help:

Update: (from Savioman's daughter)
We saw a tom in our backyard around midday (1:10pm or so (right after we posted this first message :D)), so I snuck around to one side of him behind our polebarn, while my dad stayed back to try and call him in, but to no avail. He didn't see or hear us moving, as he continued eating. We were waiting to see if he would wander past me, when he started to move in the opposite direction (quite unexpected, given the patterns we've observed so far). My dad tried a few "clucks" and "purrs" to get his attention, with no response, so then he tried to turn him around with a "cut", but again, the call was completely ignored. Any ideas/advice?
And just for the record, my dad has me beat this year (as I have yet to get my tom), but my tom from last year is still bigger than his. :D

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Best Late Season Trick In My Bag
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes a 'coon, cat or whatever will raid a hen's nest.
When this happens, she will slowly walk thru the woods yelping and clucking.

Here's what to do. Walk thru the woods anywhere from 50 to 150 yards yelping and clucking. Be hyper aware of your surroundings. I've had Toms walk right up on me doing this and they took off before I even knew they were there. Walking and calling is a deadly tactic.

Nothing aggressive, you've just lost your eggs and your bummed. When you get to where you want to go, set up your deke, ( or no deke, this will still work. ) Get 20 yards from where you called last and wait. DO NOT CALL AGAIN. Your going to be tempted, but don't do it.

It might take 20 minutes, an hour, or maybe as long as 2 hours. The Toms heard you. They WILL come. With this system, you MUST have patience. As a rule, the Toms will come in silent and then open up with a gobble when they get to the location where they heard you call last to try and find the hen they heard.
Usually the Jakes will appear first. The Tom's will follow shortly. It's uncanny, but those birds will actually step right in your track where you called last.

If you've done your homework and know there's birds in the area, have faith, it'll happen for you. Sit back and enjoy the woods while waiting. This system takes time to work, but work it does.

Remember, keep your eyes peeled and stay focused.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts