Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My venison is in the freezer. I bought a food saver vacuum packer. Can I pack the frozen meat or do I have to thaw it and then pack it.? Seems like thawing is not a good idea, but if I vacuum pack frozen and then ship it to a friend out of state and it thaws inside the vacuum pack will that be a problem?

·
Premium Member
30,980 Posts
this shouldn't be a problem. Go ahead and vacuum seal it. Contact Fedex or UPS. I don't know if the local post office can do this, but maybe. You want to ship next day service. They will tell you about the type of package, dry ice, ect.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
My venison is in the freezer. I bought a food saver vacuum packer. Can I pack the frozen meat or do I have to thaw it and then pack it.? Seems like thawing is not a good idea, but if I vacuum pack frozen and then ship it to a friend out of state and it thaws inside the vacuum pack will that be a problem?
You can pack it frozen and it will be fine.

Ask around and see if you can find one of the Styrofoam coolers from one of the various steak places that ship like Omaha Steaks. Otherwise, pharmacies get meds shipped in similar coolers and usually have some of them laying around. These work well for shipping stuff as they take a beating and they insulate very well. Get some dry ice and you'll be all set.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
I'd seal frozen and then package in a box, or Omaha Steak cooler with some dry ice. Should be good to go. Dry ice evaporates and won't get everything wet.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
I have shipped vaccum packed frozen venison to relatives in NM and AZ. I have shipped it both next day UPS and two day USPS. I shipped it in a cardboard box plastic, first in garbage bag packed with wadded up newspaper about 6-8" around the meat. It arrived two days later still froze. ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
This time of year you should be ok shipping with an expedited service, at least 2 day or overnight.
No problem vacuum sealing frozen meat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
polar bear,

Dry ice is very commonly used for shipping foods. Typically most people would go to a place like UPS or FedEx and they can tell you how much dry ice to purchase and all the details. I've overnighted something on dry ice before and put it on 2lb of dry ice.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have received frozen foods and they pack with "polar ice" packs if that helps any. Also, the newspaper wadded up works really great to supplement the insulating quality of a styrofoam cooler inside a carboard box..Kept mine just for hauling frozen food up to and back from camp. We usually wrap the frozen product with news paper, then ice packs around and on top, and put the wadded news paper outside of that. Frozen foods have been block solid for 5 and 6 days in October, with the cooler left in the back of the truck until needed.

Since it "kind of" fits this thread...I have found wrapping the venison in saran wrap first, I use a commercial sized box from Sams Club, it dispenses much easier, and THEN using the vacum sealer, there is NO freezer burn, and the vacum stays. Without the saran wrap, the ice crystals on the surface of the meat would pierce the vac bags. This seems to work very well even on small packages of chops.

Obviously the bigger the cut you can freeze the better. If you do get the freezer burn you can trim the exterior, and not lose the whole piece if it was smaller. Just takes more space in the freezer that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts