Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts on camera spooking fish? Since using an UW camera, I've noticed that the hole closest to the camera seems to catch 1/10th the fish that the farthest hole catches. Usually put the camera hole on the far left of the shanty, next hole 2' or so away putting the farthest maybe 4' away. The hole farthest from the camera dominates. Not sure if it's having an object under water or what.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have found much of the same results. I usually only lower my camera down until I can just see my bait. I turn the camera so it is pointed vertically and not horizontally. If you drill three holes and point you camera you can usually see at least two lines working. The only time that I point my camera horizontal and put all the way down to my bait level is if I am trying to locate some structure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have not noticed this and usually do the same 3-hole set-up. My buddy does the same and have not noticed an issue. We have made up weeds that wrap around the camera cable but noticed that this slightly diminished the picture so we stopped doing it. Not sure if there is a small wire in our "weeds" that provides interference or what. Our camera's are the small gill design which I would not think is an issue with eyes.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I gotta agree with you but I have noticed it is usually not enough of a deterrence to make a difference, I might try the vertical method but I don't a very good field of view or width cone much past 5' so we will see

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I never noticed much difference in catch rate, but I primarily used mine walleye fishing and out a ways from lures. I drill 3 holes in a triangle with the top hole further away from the bottom two. The top hole I put my cam in. Then jig from other two. My cam hole is out far enough to see both my lures and not get tangled when fish is on. I never used it much pan fishing, but walleye and Lk trout went right up to it often and laid by it. But I've also had lots of fish come in and leave without touching bait, I never assumed cam because the flasher showed that when cam wasnt even in water. I like the idea of making it look like a decoy and use it to attract fish like spear guys do. I was pretty surprised how effective a decoy can be perch fishing.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never noticed much difference in catch rate, but I primarily used mine walleye fishing and out a ways from lures. I drill 3 holes in a triangle with the top hole further away from the bottom two. The top hole I put my cam in. Then jig from other two. My cam hole is out far enough to see both my lures and not get tangled when fish is on. I never used it much pan fishing, but walleye and Lk trout went right up to it often and laid by it. But I've also had lots of fish come in and leave without touching bait, I never assumed cam because the flasher showed that when cam wasnt even in water. I like the idea of making it look like a decoy and use it to attract fish like spear guys do. I was pretty surprised how effective a decoy can be perch fishing.
I'm probably going to try the triangle thing this weekend. I'm guessing 4' out and keeping the fishing holes 2' apart may keep them in view. All I know is every time out, the bait closest to the camera is the one that get's maybe 1/10th the bites. Fish still mess around by the camera but as far as active bites it's always on the farthest bait. Can rotate guys, etc... with the same result. Half wondering if this is any sort of electrical discharge going into the water from the camera impacting the closest bait.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I'm probably going to try the triangle thing this weekend. I'm guessing 4' out and keeping the fishing holes 2' apart may keep them in view. All I know is every time out, the bait closest to the camera is the one that get's maybe 1/10th the bites. Fish still mess around by the camera but as far as active bites it's always on the farthest bait. Can rotate guys, etc... with the same result. Half wondering if this is any sort of electrical discharge going into the water from the camera impacting the closest bait.
Yea 4' is about what I used. Hard saying about electrical but I'm sure it's possible. Salmon guys use it on cannon balls.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
I have noticed that panfish can be skiddish towards cams while predator fish are more curious and sometimes attack the cam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts