Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have been training their deer recovery dog, I hope that your are able to put your dog down a few trails in the early bow season. I will ask all of the hunters in our group to let their deer lie, even if it's a double lung shot, and let my dog practice on the easy recoveries. He seems to be doing a bit better this year on our practice trails. His best recovery last year was his last one in November so I'm cautiously optimistic.

L & O

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
L & O,

I'll be calling you as soon as I have one down. I sure appreciated your help last year.

Best Regards,
Byron

·
Registered
20,126 Posts
When training dogs,,, how do you think the deer react to the smell of the dog,,, especially a male dog?? Marking his territory, every 6 feet. I try to keep my dog outta my hunting area,, all together. Its funny though, I know exactly when he smells a deer,,, he'll "lay out" on all fours, with his head going in ever;y direction, like hes gonna get attacked or something.

·
Registered
918 Posts
does anyone know of a "recovery dog for hire" in the lenawee/hillsdale county area. i'd be glad to pay for recovery services if it comes down to losing a deer.

·
Registered
19,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Byron,
I expect that I'll know within 48 hours whether my dog has improved any.

flyrod,
Any dog breed that loves to track & trail will work. Beagles are any inexpensive way to go. In the past I've posted how I trained my first dog...a beagle mix. You can search my past posts for this. I currently have a german shorthair....very hard to train this dog for deer. Check out www.deersearch.org This a great site for anyone interested in using dogs for deer recovery.

L & O

1 - 7 of 7 Posts