Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So apparently you can use a cordless drill for an auger?

What would be needed for the blade wise? I have a good spare cordless drill and would be interested to see how it works out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Use a hand auger minus the upper half. They sell all kinds of adapters to adapt the drill to the auger, or make one. Keep your batteries as warm as possible too.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I have a Mora Strikemaster 8" and just take the handle part off?

For the adapter, would a general store like Harbor Freight, or Home Depot have something for that? What exactly do I need? How do you keep it from spinning all over the ice (Just holding the drill seems like it would spin around)

Also, would a 12v drill work? Or what kind would work out well?

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Search "cordless drill" and your find all kinds of threads on this subject.

Many have tried it and gave reports on their success, the buttom line is unless you have a high end cordless drill (24V+) with newer/fresh batteries it wont be worth your time or money to convert. ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
i have a 19.2 volt drill and run a 6in auger with it works really well like mentioned above keep the battery warm . with the ice thickness as it is now i can get between 14 to 18 holes. if you know where you want to fish i find it best to drill your holes as soon as you get there.:D

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Search "cordless drill" and your find all kinds of threads on this subject.

Many have tried it and gave reports on their success, the buttom line is unless you have a high end cordless drill (24V+) with newer/fresh batteries it wont be worth your time or money to convert. ;)
Yeah I'm checking it out to see if it'd even be worth my time compared to manually doing it. I would wind up missing if I dropped more than $150 on an auger :lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts
You would have to go to somewhere like Gander Mountain, they're like $20. A 12v is definitely too small for an 8" hole, 18v at the least. I wouldn't recommend A harbor freight drill, especially drilling huge holes in the cold.

·
Registered
84 Posts
They don't have a regular 3/8 or 1/2 chuck, not sure if those adapters have the end that would work on one. And they're loud ass hell and dont have a smooth rotation, might mess up the auger n get a funky hole.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah yeah good point was just curious on that. I'll probably most likely end up just manually cutting holes but always interested in a new project or two to play with

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I have a 18 volt Ryobi Drill with the new Litho battery and a 5" lazer auger. I have yet to have the battery die on me while fishing and I am a hole drilling SOB. My last count was 45 holes in 10 inches of ice and it was still drilling holes.

My buddy has a lazer electric auger (over $450 new ) and it is like dragging a Ball and chain around and I expect the same thing with a gas auger. They do make a bigger hole but I have brought up to 10" gills thru the 5" holes with no problem. In fact I haven't had a fish on yet I didn't get thru the hole.

Lazer auger = 75 bucks
Ryobi drill and 2 reg batteries ( about 20 to 25 holes per battery ) and charger 79 bucks
Litho battery ( 45 plus holes with one battery ) and chargers as the litho batteries won't charge on the reg battery charger 89 bucks battery plus 35 bucks charger

This set up wieghs very little compared to a power auger and if you need more then 85 holes they also have aplug into truck charger for the litho battery for 29 bucks

35=
278 dollarinies
Now you have a multi use tool not just something for ice fishing excpet the $75 auger bucks.

I don't even bother to bring any extra batteries anymore, just the litho. Oh, I bought the heavy duty litho.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ah yeah good point was just curious on that. I'll probably most likely end up just manually cutting holes but always interested in a new project or two to play with
I was at the Rock Financial fishing show a few years ago and bought one of those adapters for I wanna say $20 or so. Seemed like a cool idea till I tried it with some crappy old cordless I had. Needless to say, it didn't drill squat. I felt ripped off till early this season when my buddy and I got sick of manually punching holes (especially when moving alot). For Christmas I got a 24v Rigid (best warranty by far) for the purpose of "home repairs". Let me tell you what, got some new blades and hooked this thing up...it is a monster!:xzicon_sm I swear we're punching more holes than we need, just cause we can. No gas, no mess, no smoke, no engine maintanence, and very little noise. We get through 10" in about 3 sec. no joke, can stay out all day, and punch as many holes as I care to count. You do have to keep those batteries warm though, and keep your torque and speed set just right. Sorry to ramble on, just really happy about it.

PS. Bet you can justify spending money on a new drill for "necessary home maintainence" without going missing. In fact, my girlfriend got it for me WILLINGLY. You just have to sell it right. Good Luck and Godspeed!

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
i have been happy with my cheap menards px 18 - 40 $- 18 volt with 1 nicad battery and charger that comes with it and it charges nicad and lithium so i bought a lithium for 50 $ but can get nicad for 25 $ .....on a 5" lazer and ice adapter i bought last year and the lithium is half the size of the nicad and i keep it in my bib pocket to keep warm and use the nicad first and can get 10-12 holes before i stop and fish and another 10-12 after with other battery but im sure it would drill atleast 20 holes if i just kept drilling

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have an old 6" swedish built mora, an 18 v ryobi drill, got 8 holes in a foot of ice to a battery, less than I expected, but I'm sure the newer augers would tax the drill less, give you more holes. Still though, two batteries, 16 holes, plenty for me for a few hrs fishin'. One thing, if you make a homemade adaptor, put some type of stopper at the connector to keep your rig from pulling thru the hole if it comes loose, I've had mine come loose a couple of times, if not for my disc at the top, auger head go bye bye. Another tip, smallest styrofoam cooler you can fit the batteries into, and throw a handwarmer in with them, keeps them toasty
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
I have a 18 volt Ryobi Drill with the new Litho battery and a 5" lazer auger. I have yet to have the battery die on me while fishing and I am a hole drilling SOB. My last count was 45 holes in 10 inches of ice and it was still drilling holes.

My buddy has a lazer electric auger (over $450 new ) and it is like dragging a Ball and chain around and I expect the same thing with a gas auger. They do make a bigger hole but I have brought up to 10" gills thru the 5" holes with no problem. In fact I haven't had a fish on yet I didn't get thru the hole.

Lazer auger = 75 bucks
Ryobi drill and 2 reg batteries ( about 20 to 25 holes per battery ) and charger 79 bucks
Litho battery ( 45 plus holes with one battery ) and chargers as the litho batteries won't charge on the reg battery charger 89 bucks battery plus 35 bucks charger

This set up wieghs very little compared to a power auger and if you need more then 85 holes they also have aplug into truck charger for the litho battery for 29 bucks

35=
278 dollarinies
Now you have a multi use tool not just something for ice fishing excpet the $75 auger bucks.

I don't even bother to bring any extra batteries anymore, just the litho. Oh, I bought the heavy duty litho.
Informative post, thanks! I'm wondering which Ryobi drill/battery you have, is it the standard blue/black or the new Green/black one? I have the old orginal Blue/Black one with the Black/Yellow batterys. Even with newer, warm batterys my results using it with a 6" Mora are simular to bigred14's. If I'm going with my buddies and we're going to be drillin a dozen or two holes we bring the gas auger. ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Nils hand augers:

Marine General just got a shipment in this week if your in the market and been looking for one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a 18v Dewalt and bring two fully charged batteries with an adapter I made with a disk that is a little biger than the auger so, if it comes out if the drill chuck I don't lose it through the ice. 8" is to much tork for the drill and will burn it out. I had a 6" Mora that iwork ok, drilled about 10 holes up at Fletchers per battery (ice about 18". I now use a 5" strike master laser and it cuts real well, about 20 holes @ 12" ice, its small but using a gaff I have had no problems. They have the adapters at Gander but I suggest using a plastic or plywood disc bigger than the auger size with a couple of hos clamps on the adapter. I have had the auger come out of the drill chuck and the disc stopped it from going bye...bye.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Six years so far on my Ryobi 18v drill 5 inch lazer, been through a few batterys. I put duct tape over cooling slots to keep the snow out still going strong I was impressed so I bought the tool kit now I have a backup drill and some extra tools and two chargers works for me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts