Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy I work with came in this morning and told me a long tale of a really nice buck he shot... but he couldn't find. In the discussion, he mentioned my dog and asked if a bird dog would track a blood trail. I had never considered it, but I told him that I just did not know but being that blood has scent, I would imagine that he would.

The conversation lead to the question of whether or not someone could legally do that. I have no real intention of trying it as I don't hunt deer but I though it might make for some decent discussion.

My guess is that a bird dog would track a blood trail from a deer but that it is against the law. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
When I was a kid long time ago, I went on a hunt with my dad and another guy. This guy had three Grey hounds that chased down deer. I remember that we got one deer. It was not in Michigan but it was legal at the time and where we did it.

Here is the info you need

• A dog can be used in hunting deer only to locate a downed or mortally wounded deer.
• The dog must be kept on a leash.
• None of the people in attendance may possess a firearm or bow and arrow.
• If the tracking is done at night, artificial lights ordinarily carried in the hand may be used.
• A dog that barks while tracking the deer can not be used on public lands. Source: State Department of Natural Resources

Source : http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2008/10/a_nose_for_does_dog_tracks_dow.html

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Tecumseh doesn't chase deer at all but I have used him twice to find shot deer for a friend. I wouldn't use a young dog to do it since it may confuse them but Tecumseh did great on it. He even found the arrow that one deer carried with it a ways before he dislodged it on a tree. The first time I had the dogs in the car from hunting and my buddy was bowhunting and was getting nervous that he couldn't find the deer. I brought Tech there and we found the deer in pretty short order. Be careful whatever you do.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no intention of doing this, I was curious whether people did this or not and if it was legal.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Tecumseh doesn't chase deer at all but I have used him twice to find shot deer for a friend. I wouldn't use a young dog to do it since it may confuse them but Tecumseh did great on it. He even found the arrow that one deer carried with it a ways before he dislodged it on a tree. The first time I had the dogs in the car from hunting and my buddy was bowhunting and was getting nervous that he couldn't find the deer. I brought Tech there and we found the deer in pretty short order. Be careful whatever you do.

I to have used one of my GSPs to track wounded deer, without an issue.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
• A dog can be used in hunting deer only to locate a downed or mortally wounded deer.

• None of the people in attendance may possess a firearm or bow and arrow.

Source : http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2008/10/a_nose_for_does_dog_tracks_dow.html
How is one to be expected to dispatch a mortally wounded deer sans firearms/b&a etc. slit its throat - could be dangerous, let the dog at it - like a wounded bird - not likely, stand around looking back and forth between the dying animal and your wristwatch, you could be in the woods all night ! Just curious.

Hoppe's no.10

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I use my dog to track blood trails, she has no issues with running deer. . .there is a huge difference between a blood track and chasing deer.

It is best to use a harness for the tracking so you are not pulling up on the dog's neck.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
How is one to be expected to dispatch a mortally wounded deer sans firearms/b&a etc. slit its throat - could be dangerous, let the dog at it - like a wounded bird - not likely, stand around looking back and forth between the dying animal and your wristwatch, you could be in the woods all night ! Just curious.

Hoppe's no.10
I think a good guess would be that a person would dispatch the animal the same way they would if they did not use a dog to track it. ;)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
My lab works best if I keep him on a short leash ,he gets too excited and will run over the track if I just let him go ,we found my friends buck this year it was gut shot and very little blood .Bud

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
I use my dog to track blood trails, she has no issues with running deer. . .there is a huge difference between a blood track and chasing deer.

It is best to use a harness for the tracking so you are not pulling up on the dog's neck.
Right On. I use mine on blood tracking and do not have a problem with them running deer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts