Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is in responce to the lisence fee increase post. If I am to pay an increase I think that any person who goes onto any state property (that allows hunting or fishing) to first purchase a 25 dollar users pass. If you have a current hunting or fishing lisence then you would not need the pass. This way the mountain bikers, bird watchers and walkers who enjoy the fruits of our dollars can share the burden of costs. And why can't we get more monies from the taxes we pay on our hunting goods, and what about those d.r.i.p. funds.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
FixedBlade,
Man, I got to tell you that my blood pressure was on the rise as I started to read your post!:smile-mad It was running through my head that I already paid for the land through my hunting/fishing license purchases, but then I got to where you want the land use permit for those that don't buy the licenses.:) I'm all for it!

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
If the mountain bikes are going to run the deer trails, then they SHOULD have an "ORV type" sticker on them or some type of a Public land tag to carry when just out wandering.

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Many states have a habitat stamp required to hunt. I know it runs around $11.00. All taxpayers all ready pay for the land.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have mixed feelings about the mountain bikes having some type of orv sticker. I do think the state should come up with a license for gathering (berry's, morels, etc..). I know a lot of guys will disagree with this but my reasoning is you are taking from a state resource, you should pay for the state resource. I don't think we should have different ones for different fruits, just a $10 dollar license to cover all gathering of edible vegitation on state land.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
No WAY!
I don't want some biker that bought a .50 cent sticker for his bike demanding to have a 500 ft. safe zone on "his" path. Or some other rediculous thing.

The second someone puts out the smallest sum He's going to have his own demands.
Hunters have always payed the bill. Don't stop now.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Airoh. The Biker will be on that land because the DNR permits it in the area. So why not make them pay. Also the snowshoer's and cross country skier's should pay to.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Airoh said:
No WAY!
I don't want some biker that bought a .50 cent sticker for his bike demanding to have a 500 ft. safe zone on "his" path. Or some other rediculous thing.

The second someone puts out the smallest sum He's going to have his own demands.
Hunters have always payed the bill. Don't stop now.
Again, you are missing an issue. They don't pay now but they do have a say. Come take a look at the state recreation area at Fort Custard in the warm spring days or the Barry County State Game Area with the bikers. Maybe those that ride horses up around Barry and Allegan State Game Areas and the meetings that the DNR has had with them for many years and their demands for land use. Yes even during spring turkey season. If you think the DNR or the politicians you vote into office only listen to those that buy hunting and fishing licenses you better pinch yourself and wake up. The resources are required to be managed for the citizens, not just hunters and anglers. Your voice is very small in comparison the the non-hunting public.:dizzy:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I'm all for it, but not really certain what the fee should be and what it should actually cover. Not sure about a fee for picking berries either, yet, when you consider there is a fee for cutting firewood etc., perhaps it does make sense, but would be difficult to police.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
boehr said:
The resources are required to be managed for the citizens, not just hunters and anglers. Your voice is very small in comparison the the non-hunting public.:dizzy:
That's very true boehr.
Remember I as a hunter am part of the public too.
I worry that a biker who bought his sticker only turns up his volume and is going to raise a ruckus with the politicians and implement those changes.
Same goes for musroom pickers. They are going to demand no hunting zones to do their thing. And on and on and on....

A little selfish, YES
Missing the point, No

We already have enough people digging our grave for us.
We don't need to help them.:dizzy:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I would totally disagree with having to pay for this type of fee. I would much rather pay through the nose for a deer liscense than get pissed off knowing that this "usage fee" will never see the appropriate hands.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I love the idea of a user's fee for public land...state and federal land. We as hunters already pay when we buy a license..that is our user's pass. So, how about we charge everyone else as well?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
i'm on board with this fee as well.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a Manistee National forest sticker & a State Park sticker for each of my vehicles. I have a all species fishing license and several types of hunting licenses NOW!! What more do you think I should have?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Bluegill Bob said:
I have a Manistee National forest sticker & a State Park sticker for each of my vehicles. I have a all species fishing license and several types of hunting licenses NOW!! What more do you think I should have?
the original post specified that hunting licenses covered the cost - only those who did not purchase a hunting license would be charged the usage license.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Can't the bikers, hikers, pickers, et al, argue that they already pay a fee in the form of personal property tax, sales tax, use tax, etc.

I am pretty sure that another "tax" won't do any good.

Case in point:
The US Post Office......they have consistently raised the price of a stamp over the last 20 years (from the low teens to $0.39). Yet, there's LESS need for their service due to the internet. People aren't sending postcards and pen-pal letters any more. They're sending emails. Yet the price of a stamp WENT UP????:confused: It doesn't make sense---more income is needed to do less work???:dizzy: Did it benefit ANYONE??

I believe the same thing would happen with this usage fee. We won't get any more benefit, we'll get less. The state gov will get more money but will there really be more services provided? NO.............................. More headaches? YES.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts