Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking fo buy a new rifle(or used)

wondering if used is an option.

I have never done that before-is it a good idea?

Should you test fire?

Pros
cons?

any place in metro detroit area?

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Half of the guns I own are used. Assuming they're in good working condition, used is the way to go, IMHO. If it's a hunting gun, a scratch in the stock adds character. Especially for hundreds of dollars cheaper! My favorite deer rifle, a 1950's model 70 Winchester 30'06, was passed and sold from two of my dad's hunting buddies, then to my dad and me. Who knows how many owners it had before. I have many nice rifles I could use, but my old beat up buzzard grade is all I use anymore. One place to look is Jaqua's in Ohio. Many of their guns are better, more pricey, but some great deals too. Keep an eye on this site, because they get new stuff in all the time. I bought my 28 ga Remington 1100 sporting clays new for 10% over cost from them. The best deal I found for that gun, anywhere.
http://www.jaquas.com/gunlist/default.asp

·
Super Moderator
11,767 Posts
Howdy, 1fife-

Nothing wrong with used, just make sure you educate yourself on what to look out for. Both Gander Mountain and Bass Pro, along with most other sporting goods stores, sell used guns. Most any reputable retailer isn't going to sell you a piece of junk; they have their reputation to be concerned about.

When you become more knowledgable, you can check out pawn shops.

You can gain a lot of knowledge by reading most of the gun mags (Guns and Ammo, Shooting Times, Handgunner, etc.) and by talking to retailers (when they are not busy, of course.)

Try and hit some gun shows; they have one every month out at Gibraltar Trade Center in the 'Clem, just down the road a piece from you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I too have bought quite a few used guns. Check them out good etc. and you should be able to get a good one for a good price.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought a nice 30-06 on Gunbroker.com. It's like the ebay of guns. I have several other friends who have purchased there and all had good results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts