Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't wait till I get out fishing, Used my last bag of Sheepshead filets today.
I use the george foreman to cook them for about 11 to 12 minutes, gives a nice crunch to them.
I put one capfull of italian dressing in a quart bag filled with water to freeze them.
I use Bread crumbs Crackers and flour mixture for a coating.
Man are they good, don't listen to those that say they are trash, they have the consistency of Pork
when I cook them on the foreman, walleye and perch are great but the sheepshead is right there, its not mushy
and has a good taste, even Putty likes them a lot, I save one small filet for her
I have ate them from 14 inchs to 22 and they were all good.
Can't remember who said this but its pretty spot on
****My ma used to run Phils Inn Motle in Port Clinton and has preferred sheepheads over walleyes for many years. I personally couldnot tell the difference when she would cook both together. ****
I can't believe I listened to people over the years with the board cooking, cook sheepshead on a board and throw the fish away and eat the board.
same with silver bass, they are every bit as good as perch and I threw hundreds back over the years till I kept a 14 inch one and cooked it along with perch. not a bit of difference. they don't go back either.
I have cooked both sheepshead and white bass in a peanut oil cooker and the George forman, Hands down the foreman , no mess no fuss and done quickly and taste great.
By the way I am not a big fan of fish but I like these.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Hey, those type of fish aren't on my menu, but more power to ya my man. To each is own. Nice to hear that somebody eats em. Keep their numbers down so there's not as many to rob my crawlers while trolling for Eyes. If your ever in my neighborhood give me a hollar, I'll keep those for ya if ya want em.:)

·
Registered
663 Posts
i wonder if they are one of those fish that are alot better when they have been in cold water, i have had sucker from spring that was good and tried one in late summer that was mushy, i did not finish filleting it i tossed it in the garden.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I had a buddy tell me about someone he knew that cut up and ate a dog fish!

A least someone is willing to eat these fish!:sad:

As for me I am a big sissy and prefer to pass on them, maybe I am a bit too picky.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
When I read the title of this thread I honestly thought you'd be talking about using them for fertilizer. You are the only one I know of who eats those things.

·
Registered
410 Posts
did he say, Mushy?

;)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Houghton laker said:
Next weeks Menu.....Spot tail shinners done on a George Foreman Grill :D :lol: :lol:
Shut uuuup
but there again

Funny how people have a mental block againest some thing.
sort of like when a person was younger and had to eat lima beans,

I wasn't kidding I think the sheeps are fine, this was not a joke, PS putty ate her small filet and left hamburber in her bowl

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
glnmiller said:
When I read the title of this thread I honestly thought you'd be talking about using them for fertilizer. You are the only one I know of who eats those things.
well the reason I tried them was because of 3 people I have known for years said they thought they were good.
also I lived in Fl for a year and ate Grouper, sea trout, reds, snapper and Mackrel ,,,none of them were as good as the sheepheads here

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I dont eat the sheephead, or silver bass, but I do keep them and drop them off to the fellas fishing the foot of Alter Rd., they keep me alerted to certain situations.:evilsmile

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
huntingmaniac45 said:
:coco: :dizzy:
:yeahthat: I don't even put those things in my boat. Let alone my belly!:lol:

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Steve I'm with you on this one!!:) I just started keeping small Sheephead (10-15 inches) last season and the only way to tell the difference between a breaded Walleye fillet and a Sheepshead fillet is that the Walleye in mushier.:fish: (Although I would recommend removing the belly meat) If someone says otherwise it's because they have never tried it before.
I worked a few years on a charter boat in Florida and have had just about every kind of fish that swims (both fresh and saltwater). Freshwater drum (Sheepshead) are very similar to both Redfish and saltwater Sheephead both of which are considered excellent table fare. You really are missing out by not trying them.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Handlining Rules said:
Although I do not keep them to eat, Their big lips do kind of get me excited.....makes me think of the first time.........nevermind.
Wow guys! I'm sure everyone remembers my drunken stuper not too long ago about my signature. Tonite it's Handling Rules turn! Put down the glass and go to bed!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 91 Posts