Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gonna try to ice fish the river for the first time, possibly tomorrow. does anyone use tip ups and if so any advice or tips on setting them would be greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I.ve tried them but nothing so far except cats. I like to set it up off the shelf towards the bank alittle . should work, but nothing for me yet, except for forgetting to pull it at the end of the night and come back in the morning to find it smashed by a snowmobile.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I use a dead stick with a pimple or do jogger tipped with a minnow head on it. Normally brings in the bigger fish as the smaller fish won't usually stay hooked on it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have tried it on several occasions.. and found they werent worth the extra weight in the sled. A deadstick is the way to go for your 3rd line if your jigging 2 poles.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I.ve tried them but nothing so far except cats. I like to set it up off the shelf towards the bank alittle . should work, but nothing for me yet, except for forgetting to pull it at the end of the night and come back in the morning to find it smashed by a snowmobile.:rolleyes:
so you.. "almost" caught a sled.. thats the best success story I have ever heard with tipups on the river.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I run them with some success occasionally. I rig it with a three way swivel with a weight on the bottom and run a single hook spinner with about a 2 foot lead.

·
Registered
471 Posts
ive set some but never anything on them thought about gettin 1 a them windlass types that jig a little with the wind and give it a try but when the fish are on its hard enough fishin 2 poles and then havin 2 run after a tipup it might get a bit crazy at times but like said let us know how it works for ya david

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the replies guys. might just deadstick . where would the closest spot for me to get minnows coming up
from the south on 75 and getting off around z bridge?

·
Registered
694 Posts
closest would prolly be gander.. but they overcharge and give horrible "counts." You could either get off onto 675 and hit up the local bait shops like the marina at rust ave. boat launch (Lee st.).. or just pick them up where you are and bring them with ya.

·
Premium Member
29,819 Posts
gonna try to ice fish the river for the first time, possibly tomorrow. does anyone use tip ups and if so any advice or tips on setting them would be greatly appreciated .
Good luck. Have seen plenty try it, and have myself, but not much luck. Have saw more perch than eyes caught on them:lol:

I run them with some success occasionally. I rig it with a three way swivel with a weight on the bottom and run a single hook spinner with about a 2 foot lead.
Great idea. I've been saying for years I'm going to run the same set up with a crawler harness, and a perch minnow on each hook:D Maybe this is the year!

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Same here. Even under the ice a small crank bait like floating rapsla will pop eyes on a third line. In the river obviously. Need current to work it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts