Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive US10 and M20 for work fairly regularly. I did so again today. This happens all over the place, but it seems like US10 from auburn to midland & M20 to mount pleasant have it happen more than other areas.

People drive up in the next lane, then cut you off short for no apparant reason. It's especially bad when they have an ego-truck, because I can't see a damn thing around or though their vehicle. (I use the 'ego-truck' term because very few of the people actually use a big truck for anything other than to boost their ego. Quite a few guys on this site probably *use* their trucks for something more than simple transportation, but I'd wager heavily that 80+% of the big trucks on the road have never been off pavement. A guy at work has 'big truck syndrome'- he likes to think his truck is too big to fit in one parking spot, so he always parks on an angle and doesn't pull in all the way, making sure he takes up part of mine as well. Nevermind that most everybody else on the planet who has this exact same model truck has no problems, including the person who parks a few spots down.)

I just love it when people cut me off, then slow down and drive slower than me, or better yet, cut me off, then slow down and put their turn signal on. Also wonderful is when they cut me off when the nearest vehicle is a half mile or more away as well. I was cut off no less than 9 times today when there was no other vehicle remotely nearby.

What is it about this area that makes people drive this way? I'm not driving excessively slowly, but I am one of the slowest cars on the road, only speeding by 5-10. Is there some advantage to cutting another person off that I'm not seeing?

OK, I'm done venting now.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I lay getting cut off on those idiot mirrors on the passenger side of cars today. It looks like you are a mile behind in the mirror so they cut in. On one of my suvs I had the mirror replaced with a piece of standard mirror as I hated the dang thing.

The driver ed teachers used to teach you to use the center mirror on your windshield to judge when to turn in when passing. If you can see the other car in that mirror is is safe to turn in.

The real problem is that they are just plain iddiots with no concern for anyone but themselves.

·
Registered
686 Posts
ill agree with you ruler. i live off 11mi and M-20 if i could find a new way to midland id take it. i love it when people pull out in front of you and drive 45 mph and you look behinde you and loan behold notanother car but they had to pull out in front of you. the worse places i have found for people cutting you off and then turning is by the nextdoor foodstore and near the beer/smokes stores after only 6year of living out i here im sick of 20 myself

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
It ain't just US10 or M20, it happens to me almost daily on US31 on my work to or from work. What really annoys me is one spot where people pull out right in front of you, only to go to the gas station/party store one block away, the whole time there isn't another car in sight.:mad:

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Ruler,

Some guy did that to me on my way home the Betsie last Tuesday. Their was a car behind me.....maybe 3miles. I kept going the same speed that I was, came within a few feet or so, then he stepped on it, lmao. I have a truck, but I don't use it to make my "ego" any bigger. As a matter of fact, sometimes I think that I have a sign on the front of my truck that say's "Pull in front of me I don't care!!" When actually I do care, and it P!$$#$ me off.

So here's a big "WAVE" to all those people out there that do this.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I took I-75 to Bay City this morning, then took 10 across to Clare.

And yepper: Definately lots of people cutting in-and-out, coming right up on your bumper, etc.

But hey: Seems like its that way everytime I go downstate. :D

And if you were to see my truck, there would be no doubt thats its 'been off-road'. In point of fact, out of 139k + miles (its a Chevy) probably close to 1/2 have been made traveling on gravel roads/two-tracks thru the woods.

I can always tell a 'wanna-be' when his truck is spic & span inside & out, no scratches or dents, the bed looks like new, and they cringe-up when asked to drive down a two-track. People like that are the reason trucks co$t so much nowadays. They oughta stick to cars instead.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I drove across 10 from Clare last week and it wasn't too bad until I got to Midland. And it got really bad on south 75 just after getting south of Birch Run. I had one guy in a Dodge Ram come up to about three feet from my bumper and stay there for a good long while in the center lane with my cruise control set on 74 mph. The jerk had countless opportunities to get around me so when it became apparent to me that he wasn't going to do that I just hit the accelerator and let that diesel pull well away from him. It's always much the same story almost every freaking' trip.

And hey, I've got one of those trucks you might tag as an "ego truck" myself. I keep my 2003 F-250 as clean as possible because I know I'm going to have it for a good many years to come, so the better I take care of it now the better it looks down the road. I have no qualms about driving it on a two-track and we {the wife and I} got it so I could pull the boat and camper with it when necessary.

I don't know what it is with these idiot drivers but I can tell you this - when I drove steel my favorite memories are of the jacka$$es who would come up on my left and with absolutely nobody behind me for a mile disappear under my front end, slow down and exit at the upcoming ramp. And all of this would happen while I sat in front of 20 tons or more of steel. I think some of these brainwave diminished MENSA rejects do this crap because they know it's going to piss someone off and they take some perverse pleasure from that.

But hey, try driving the QEW coming out of Toronto some afternoon. Those people are really fing crazy. :eek:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have driven a lot the past 25 years and have been to a lot of the states. One thing I find, and hate is someone from Illinois that stays in the fast lane and WILL not budge out of it even if it is a cop or something. Don't flag me anyone from the Illinois, just calling it as I saw it. I was in Arizona a few years back and they are the same way. I rode with a friend of mine who is a deputy there and she would be on their bumpres with the lights and sirens and they still wouldn't move out of the way.
I jusy got back from a drive down south and it was the people from Illinois that trip who blocked the fast lane again? Why do they do that? My grand parents used to live in Chicago and I would hate driving there just because of the fast lane hogs. Is it in their chromosomes or something?:mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts