Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isnt about hunting. But Tuesday on the way to work (6am) they have Drake closed down at M-5. So I go down 9 mile to Farmington and go north going to Grand River. As I am approaching Grand River a red fox runs out 20ft in front of my truck stops as I do and turns around and goes back behind the buildings. Now anyone who knows this area this is Downtown Farmington. Right in the middle of town. I work about a mile and half down the road and we have deer and other wildlife but this fox was crusing downtown. Just wanted to know if anyone else has seen an animal in an "unusual " place.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I've seen a red fox cross Southfield Rd just S of 696. I also saw another fox off of Meijer's Dr in Clawson (though that one isn't too unusual as their is a small woodlot right by there)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I've seen some really nice bucks right within 1 mile of Telegraph, just north a few miles from 696.

In the midst of Northville I've seen a few nice bucks, some mink, a few fox, and a coyote or two. The fox and coyote sightings are mainly in the winter though as they are crossing frozen lakes in the area.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Last summer my dad saw a HUGE 10 pt. on rouge park golf course (plymouth road and outer drive area) He said it was the biggest dear he's seen in the wild in person.

·
Registered
226 Posts
a few years ago there was a baby moose wandering through the Marquette cemetery.

·
Registered
184 Posts
about 15 years ago, when I was living in Sault, Ontario, there was a cow moose just booking it down Queen Street East (I lived just off that road). She made her way into the St. Mary's river and last I saw her she was swimming towards Sugar Island....

When I was working at a motel in the same area I also saw a flying squirrel (the only one I've ever seen IRL) glide from one tree clear across the parking lot, into another tree. It was pretty darn cool.

·
Super Moderator
11,779 Posts
Howdy-

Had a coyote cross Gratiot at Masonic (13-1/2 Mile) a few years back.

There was a buck killed by officers in the late 90's at 12 Mile and M-97 (Groesbeck).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Last summer my dad saw a HUGE 10 pt. on rouge park golf course (plymouth road and outer drive area) He said it was the biggest dear he's seen in the wild in person.

I have seen this deer! I saw him while playing there last fall (september, I think). He's a monster buck.

DD

·
Registered
16 Posts
last summer i saw a red fox eating taco bell garbage in the taco bell parking lot at 2:30 am on eight mile and haggerty. I had a picture of it on my phone but it is long gone now. I told the guy at the window that there was a red fox in his parking lot eating trash and he just says "yeah i know" like the thing comes by every night looking for food.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Howdy-

Had a coyote cross Gratiot at Masonic (13-1/2 Mile) a few years back.

There was a buck killed by officers in the late 90's at 12 Mile and M-97 (Groesbeck).
had coyote in front of my house 3yrs back im at masonic between harper and
little mack

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I live on a 1-acre lot within the city limits of Grand Rapids. There are 10 acres behind me and 20 acres of vacant land surrounded by houses across the road from me. I am also surrounded by 5 large condo developments. In the last 3 years I have captured the following animals on camera and trail cam.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Great pictures.

I live in Norton Shores in a residential neighborhood and last Monday I had 3 deer in the front yard at 6 PM. They were 20 foot off my deck. I have seen fox, turkeys, pheasants, deer, rabbits, possum and racoons in my yard. Wish I could hunt my yard

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have seen this deer! I saw him while playing there last fall (september, I think). He's a monster buck.

DD
I have played that course more than any other course since i was eight or so and have never seen any deer there. I wish i would've seen this buck. If he was a monster last year, he must be huge this year. I assume he survived considering he has few natural predators in detroit.

·
Premium Member
13,444 Posts
Due to some old business committments I still spend a bit of time in Chicago and so I'm familiar with their newspapers. In the last few years they have carried reports of many wildlife sightings within very built-up urban areas. For example, the Tribune carried photos of a coyote retreating underneath a vehicle right in front of the Art Museum on Michigan Avenue. You can't get much more "urban' than that. Another coyote in an outside stairwell in the River North area (1/2 a mile from the Loop).

And of course, there was the recent indicident of a wild cougar (not someone's released pet) being shot by a Chicago policeman on the city's far north side. (and the subsequent story linking that killing to an alleged attempt to burn Mayor Daley's Michigan summer cottage near Sawyer by an animal-rights whacko)

I personally have seen a live (couldn't have stayed alive much longer) deer standing beside traffic on the Kennedy freeway near the North Avenue exit. That's maybe 2 miles from the heart of the Loop.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have played that course more than any other course since i was eight or so and have never seen any deer there. I wish i would've seen this buck. If he was a monster last year, he must be huge this year. I assume he survived considering he has few natural predators in detroit.

He was with 2 other deer...but once I saw him I didn't even look at the other 2. We were playing hole # 7 I think...the hole that goes down a little hill and you hit your second shot over the river to the green. The deer were walking along the edge of the woods by the river.

DD

·
Registered
437 Posts
i drive a semi-truck mostly in southeastern part of the state and ive seen deer in just about everyplace you can think of to not see them..

696 & farmington rd., beck rd & 10 mile rd., in my subdivison across the street from lakeside mall, canal & schoenherr rd.

seen fox and deer anywhere between 19mile and schoenherr on clinton river rd. no suprise with the park there though.

mound rd & m-59 , dequindre and the m-59 service drive.
i75 & m-59 northeast corner of the interchange. i-75 by univerisity dr.
sall rd. and 19 mile.

i actually saw a rooster phasant down on coner rd. and jefferson rd. bout a year ago, that suprised me!

·
Registered
333 Posts
i had 3 deer walking down my driveway this summer while i was having a bonfire at like 3 a.m. at wamplers lake first time ive seen them but i think they come there a lot because there is a swamp about 300 yards away from the lake front were i live and there is tracks htere all time. i just thought it was kool.

spencer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts