Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow bird doggers.

I am currently putting together a truck for the 2022 hunting/guide season. This will be a thread to follow along with the build as well as help me gather some ideas. Typically I use a truck with a standard topper. This one will be a little different. It is what I guess you could call a nostalgia/old school rig with a subtle blend of newer technology.

The truck is a 1967 Chevy C10, 250ci straight 6, 4 speed. I recently purchased an older contractor topper to build into the dog box/storage/etc. Decided to go this route with the topper because it opens up more options for storage, etc. The simple solution is put crates in it, some vents and call it good. That being said I know the pride and work that many hunters put into their pickup/topper setups for hunting. Many of them incorporate slick storage ideas, sliding cargo areas, monitors, etc to make for the best hunt. This is where I am also hoping to gather some useful input. Is there a product, light, dog box, organizer that you just cant live without? The timeline is short and must be finished by October 1st.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Car

Plant Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Requirements are;
4 dog minimum
Water storage
Coffee and snack storage
Lights (interior and exterior)
Vents (fans)
Nostalgic feel

-Neal

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I think you have a start here. Not sure about getting here ready 10/1

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Reactions: Stand By

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look up Eric Forrester on Youtube
His dog box setup is interesting

Led lights in box
Solar panel w/ 50ah battery for fans, lights, and collar charging station

roll out canopy for hot or rainy days
Thanks, I'll check him out.

Have kicked around the idea of a solar panel but the cost may outweigh the benefit when the extended fall cloud cover moves in.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Thanks, I'll check him out.

Have kicked around the idea of a solar panel but the cost may outweigh the benefit when the extended fall cloud cover moves in.
It’s really about keeping a 50ah battery charged to run the fans on hot (sunny) days. And for charging collars.
It’s really nice being able to slip the collars off the dogs in the back of the truck, and immediately snap them onto the charging cords.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s really about keeping a 50ah battery charged to run the fans on hot (sunny) days. And for charging collars.
It’s really nice being able to slip the collars off the dogs in the back of the truck, and immediately snap them onto the charging cords.
I like the idea of a charging station at the back of the truck by the dogs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really like where your going with this. Awesome plan.
I'd put a few holes in it for natural ventilation...be worried about the exhaust fumes from that 6 cylinder.
Have been giving the ventilation some thought as well as the exhaust. Planning on lengthening the tail pipe to get it out from under the edge of the bed. Not too far where it could possibly be damaged though.

For the vents I decided to just make them instead of buying them. 4" hole saw and some cut up scrap
Plant Sky Cloud Tree Gas

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Road surface

Tree Wood Building Composite material Gas

Wood Sky Gas Tree Composite material

Wood Gas Building material Composite material Fixture

Gas Composite material Wood Concrete Metal

1 - 20 of 20 Posts