Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody give me an update on the change that will allow the use of three rods while trolling. I contacted one of the local turtle troopers and he left me with the impression that I was nuts. But since I also work for the state I understand that information is not shared with staff outside of Lansing in a timley way.

·
Administrator
36,331 Posts
Ahh, just found the source of your information: The MUCC has proposed that 3 lines per angler be allowed for trolling on The Great Lakes only. Just a proposal at this point.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Below is an e-mail response from the DNR on this issue:

Yes, the rumors are true. The bill is House Bill 5670 and will go before the Commission on August 17th & 18th, and will need to be signed by the Director of the Department of Natural Resources.
The new order will allow anglers that are in the act of trolling while targeting trout and salmon species in Great Lakes waters shall be restricted to using no more than 3 single lines or 3 single rods and lines, and shall not attach more than six hooks total on all lines.

This order shall become effective on September 29, 2000. You will want to watch for a press release that should come out before the order goes into effect, that will contain all the legal language.

Thanks,

Lynne
Michigan Dept of Natural Resources
Fisheries Division

------------------
"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations the important thing is not to achieve, but to strive." Aldo Leopold 1887-1948

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
I don't think it will make difference as long as the limit does not change. Your still only allowed to keep so many fish per day period. Now I can tell you I have been out and I could of had 20 lines in the water and it would of not made a differnce, no fish.
I perfer only a couple myself, less chance of tangles.
The advantage would be to fish varying depths and types of lures until you found what works.

[This message has been edited by kingfisher 11 (edited 08-15-2000).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts