Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may or may not remember my dog Rusty. I got him from a rescue, nice AKC Britt. I have did a little to try to train him in the field, but he just wants to run and run and run, then it takes a few days to find him, usually humping a dog 3 miles away, or cat, or whatever stands still for him.

He still cowers if my or anyones voice is raised, but he does not pee when he does it, which is an improvement. The cat kicks his butt, he is so gentle and laid back that he just lays there and plays with his new buddy, it is a funny thing to watch.

I am thinking of saving up and maybe paying someone to train him on birds and am wondering how much that costs, or if it is to late (he is almost 4).

He is a smart dog most the time and I do thiks like hide his treats inside and out to get him to sniff them out. he seems to work the wind well. He will go downwind and work his way back up criss crossing (I think thats good anyhow).

What can I expect to pay roughly to have him trained here in MI. I know of people paying upwards of $5K, but there has to be other programs out there.

Thanks guys and gals.

G

·
The trainer I use charges $300/month to train a dog at his kennels. You have to provide food and any birds that are shot for and/or killed by your dog are charged to you as well.

If you want to know more about, let me know.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Bass-Hole said:
The trainer I use charges $300/month to train a dog at his kennels. You have to provide food and any birds that are shot for and/or killed by your dog are charged to you as well.

If you want to know more about, let me know.
Also, make sure you do tons of research since your dog already has some personality "issues." So a trainer with a soft hand is a must.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
FieldWalker said:
Also, make sure you do tons of research since your dog already has some personality "issues." So a trainer with a soft hand is a must.

I agree and also with that said I would look into a train that will do lessons and teach you to train your dog your self

scott

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Frantz said:
What can I expect to pay roughly to have him trained here in MI. I know of people paying upwards of $5K, but there has to be other programs out there.

Thanks guys and gals.
Also, what are you expecting to get out of the training?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Not sure where you are located but if there's any NAVHDA chapters near you, that might be a good place to start too.

I would say the dog isn't a wash at this point either, buddy of mine picked up a brit that was 4 I think, 5 maybe and has turned it into a pretty darn good (biddable) dog. If it's got a good nose, some point, and desire I wouldn't give up yet.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts