Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just throwing this out there to see if anything sticks. ;)

For the last 4 or 5 years I have hosted a duck hunters camp at the resort and its a fun time having people who share the same passion staying here, hunting and BSing. I tried to put together a grouse camp but it didn't work out.

Anyone interested in doing a trappers camp in December? ( yep I realize its late notice) I assume if someone is traveling all the way to the UP they would want to trap when fisher and martin are open so that's why I picked December.

The resort is dead this time of year so we could cut the cabin rentals back to 125.00 a person for the week just so I can afford to heat them. I am assuming there would be two people in a cabin.

If we cant do it this year maybe we could plan on next year.

Lakes are streams are all open right now up here and look to be that way for a while longer no snow yet.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sure wish I could Brandon. I think my boss (day job) would kill if I did it this year.

I am hoping to get a large piece of private to trap beaver next fall. Just waiting for all owners to get me an answer.

One more thing why don't you put in an outdoor wood boiler to heat your place and all the cabins???

Dave

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Brandon,

Great idea!

My problem is that I now live in Alaska, so my U. P. Fisher trapping is on indefinite hold.

Hope you get some takers.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I don't know if I could make it work but it sounds like a great time. I have never had the opportunity to travel to trap but hope to some day. What kind of trapping area is there in that part of the state?

·
Registered
702 Posts
BHB I am interested but can not do it this year. If you make plans for next year let me know. Sounds like we could have a good time Martin, Fisher, Bobcat and BSing.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Next year would be a possibility. I just blew most of my vacation ... and Dec starts on Tuesday already.

But certianly next year it might be feasible.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
If it all goes down i will drive over for a night or two. Most likely wont stay the whole time lmao it is only like an hour drive for me so i could come and hang out.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Ed.. wanna be my cabin-buddy?? :SHOCKED: all kidding aside... that sounds like a blast to me.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Sounds like fun for sure, but for me if I was going that far I would just go back to my home turf and trap fisher/marten!! Great idea for sure, maybe next year. OT

·
Registered
571 Posts
BHB,

It sounds like it would be an awesome time, not to mention appreciate the great deal extened for a week's stay although this year would defintly be out. If I told the wife I was heading up there this winter she would kick my [email protected]#@. As it is, I have a bobcat trip planned in Jan, a bear trip planned in August, and possibly an out west trip for speed goats and elk right after that. If I left for the great north for another week, more than likely I would come home to an empty house (except for my dog Charlie).:lol::lol: I sure wouldn't mind though trying for next winter!! Thanks for the offer though.

Hunterjb6

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like there would be some interest in doing it next year so I will plan on it and post up well in advance.

I thought about it several times this year but did not get it posted early enough.

Dave, The outdoor wood burners are nice but there are two reasons for me not having one. The first is I would have to make even more wood then I do now and the second is the up front cost of the units ;)

We have converted to mostly electric heat now and where I live its actually fairly cheep. But in the winter with people staying in the units they can get costly to heat. During December when we are slow and they are turned down its not to bad.

I heat my home with wood in a indoor burner and we go through 20 face cord a year. Still I love the heat a wood stove makes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sounds great Brandon, next year would give me some time to get my feet wet. It would be nice to meet some of you guys, in person. Look forward to it!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Ed.. wanna be my cabin-buddy?? :SHOCKED: all kidding aside... that sounds like a blast to me.
Now, that right there would be just like the Two Stooges.
Sounds great Brandon, next year would give me some time to get my feet wet. It would be nice to meet some of you guys, in person. Look forward to it!
I told ya you'd be putting down that deer rifle and picking up some traps.:D

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Two stooges and Three Amigos could leave on mark on the place.:tdo12:

Brandon are you freezing up yet? I got some big wigs who want to duck hunt next weekend and I got no ducks yet.:help:

Griff

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Two stooges and Three Amigos could leave on mark on the place.:tdo12:

Brandon are you freezing up yet? I got some big wigs who want to duck hunt next weekend and I got no ducks yet.:help:

Griff
Griff,
I am downstate right now. Talked to my friend and he said the real small water is getting slushy. I would say freeze up is a ways off. Just so you know even if we feeze we dont have birds to push down anyway. They are still north of me as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts