Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a place for my wife and I. Resort or cabin rental. We like to fish Walleye Northern Bass and panfish. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The Curtis area is great for fishing. North Manistique, Big Manistique, South Manistique, Milikokia Lake and fox river, and two hearted. Great areas.

sean

Oh and lots of cabins to rent. Great food and great beer.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I agree with the curtis area and the three manistique lakes...all have great fishing especially south manistique:D , and several resorts to choose from...good luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
Lake Gogebic - Nine Pines Resort, Walleye Lodge, Maple Ridge Motel. There are others. Look to the Lake Gogebic Chamber of Commerce site. Google also. MW

·
Registered
237 Posts
Did you forget to mention as in what time of the year you want to go up there? :SHOCKED:Do you have a boat or are you in need of rental? Fill in a few more blanks for us.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would recommend the Curtis area, too. I spend a week on South Lake
aka Whitefish Lake every year. The boat ramp in town is good and there
is a boat ramp just down the street, less than a quarter mile to Big Lake.
South Lake is having a problem with Asian Millfoil, so the earlier in the year the better. It has good pike fishing, bass, bluegills and walleyes. There are
resorts all over the lake Fiegels is where I've stayed. They have nice cabins right on the water. The chamber of commerce in town can help with a selection, but do it soon. I normally rent a year in advance. If you get tired of cooking, the have two excellent restaurants in town..Whitefish Bar and Chamberlains.

The two lakes produce some huge pike. The DNR did a census trapping a few years ago. The pictures at JRs were unbelievable. They took and released several 50 inch northers out of South Lake and Big Lake. Big Lake is thought to be the better of the two for fishing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lake Michigamme has a resort on it, not sure of the name. I believe they also have boat rentals there or somewhere close. The lake has walley, pike, musky, pretty much everything. It in great proximity to all kind of sightseeing and fishing spots. Craig Lake state park is very close, you need a four wheel drive vehicle to get into the lake, but the fishing is out of this world. No motors on the lake either, so you either need to haul a canoe in. Canyon falls are right up the road and a little further is the sturgoen river gorge. If you go in late spring you can watch the sturgeon spawn. The whole up is beautiful, but i'd choose that area. The bugs aren't as bad as the east and central parts of the up either, higher woodland=less swamps. If you are a bass fisherman, don't let all the talk about the up having a shorter growing season so the fish are smaller fool you. I lived in the UP for 7 years and saw only a handful of undersized bass caught, the biggest smallmouth i saw landed was 24 inches. The biggest I've seen in the LP was 20. There are some monsters in alot of the small, underfished lakes up there.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ramdog said:
Did you forget to mention as in what time of the year you want to go up there? :SHOCKED:Do you have a boat or are you in need of rental? Fill in a few more blanks for us.
We will heading that way the week of the 4th of July, and have our own boat. Thanx for letting me know I left that out. RS

·
Registered
237 Posts
If it tis around the 4th. of July then I myself would not plan on going around Little Bay DeNoc. We never had much (or anyone for that matter) that time of year. Awesome place to go other than that time. My second chhoice would be to go to Lake Independence! Nice campground and if its cabins or such I am sure someone else could fill you in on more of that. Some nice BIG toothy critters in there too! Keep your options open and take your time...you will find the right place. L8tr...Tha Dog:fish:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I second the motion on avoiding LBDN around the 4th of July. The Mayflies will usaully be getting done or still going. When you see the masses of dead mayflies on the surface, you don't wonder why the fish aren't hungry...

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Sell,

If you considering Lake Gogebic I might be able to help you out ;)

The week of fourth of july I only have one cabin left open its the first week to fill every summer. We have 4 cabins and two motel rooms. I would be glad to take you out the first afternoon you are hear and show you some different structure of the lake. Bring along your GPS if you have one.

BTW I am a sponsor of the M-S boards as well.

The web site is still basic so if you have specific questions give me a call.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Agreed about the 4th weekend at LBDN..for walleye. Not only is there an incredible mayfly hatch around that time, but also the alewifes are in the bay big time. Bass can be pretty good, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts