Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving up to houghton in the fall for school and would like to do some hunting while I'm up there. I was wondering if anyones knows of a good map or some type of computer program that shows state and commercial forest land along with some of the 2 tracks and logging roads. A topo map would be really nice. Ive looked at the maps on the dnr website but they don't show many roads or geographic features. Maybe I'm looking for to much in one map but if anyone could point me in the right direction for a map like this id appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I'm moving up to houghton in the fall for school and would like to do some hunting while I'm up there. I was wondering if anyones knows of a good map or some type of computer program that shows state and commercial forest land along with some of the 2 tracks and logging roads. A topo map would be really nice. Ive looked at the maps on the dnr website but they don't show many roads or geographic features. Maybe I'm looking for to much in one map but if anyone could point me in the right direction for a map like this id appreciate it.
Best bet is to order some topo maps from Mytopo.com or Topzone.com for the areas within driving distance from where you are staying. I really like the 1:24,000 scale for detail. Each map will cover approximately 36 square miles in a roughly 6 mile square. Buy as many different maps as you can afford because you'll end up not having the one you want otherwise.

After you get your maps, head on over to the nearest DNR and Forest Service offices and find out who the forestry guys are and spend a little time chatting with them. I've actually had them mark out on the maps where the current cutting and historical cuts have been going on within the last seven years or so. Also ask if they can show you where the mast producing stands are, white oak preferrably, but reds will do.

Find where a three year old cut, or a stand of mature oaks, meets a cedar swamp in an area with decent ridge structure and then find the terrain features that funnel the deer. Or hunt the edges of an older polplar cut along a streambed for grouse.

As far as public lands, I usually just mark the borders with a sharpie on my topos, cross referencing off of another map that shows the borders.

This all takes a little time and legwork, but it is wayy worth it when you're all done.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Plat Maps are your friend. They will show you all the public, the private and the lumber company land that is open like public land.

Overlay that with a topo (which can be found online) and you have all the info you need.

Then you just have to skip a few classes and burn up some boot leather checking those saddles, pinch points and funnels.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best bet is to order some topo maps from Mytopo.com or Topzone.com for the areas within driving distance from where you are staying. I really like the 1:24,000 scale for detail. Each map will cover approximately 36 square miles in a roughly 6 mile square. Buy as many different maps as you can afford because you'll end up not having the one you want otherwise.
Thanks that's what i was looking for. have you ever tried the mytopo mappass? that looks like a pretty good deal for unlimited maps.
I thought about getting a plat map but i just can't justify spending that much money for a map of one county.

Luv2hunteup, yes i will be going to tech. i can't wait to move up there. i was just up there for a few days and loved it. i could barely stay out of the woods and streams long enough to find an apartment lol

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
I thought about getting a plat map but i just can't justify spending that much money for a map of one county.
They are only 25 bucks I think, just think of it as buying one less case of beer one week.

maybe that's not a good example for a college kid..................:lol:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are only 25 bucks I think, just think of it as buying one less case of beer one week.
thats not to bad the one i saw was $60.. one case of beer is a pretty big sacrifice tho :yikes: lol

·
Registered
429 Posts
Platt book for that area includes both Houghton and Keewenaw couties. Well worth the money, shows Public, CFR, and private lands, as well as most 2 tracks. I bought mine several years ago for $35.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the advice. looks like a platt book is the way to go

·
Registered
36,052 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Luv2hunteup, thanks for all the free sources. I thought i found most of the maps and public land on the dnr website but i obviously was looking in the wrong places.
Theres is a LOT of public and CF land up there, i just want to make sure i don't wonder onto some private land even tho I'm sure i could park in the middle of state land and walk all day and not go onto any private land. definitely more land than I'm used to down here in mid michigan.

·
Registered
36,052 Posts
There is more public land in the area than you could possibly walk even if you stayed long enough to get your doctorate. Don't forget to put in for your bear tag next year. By the time you draw a tag you should be able to scout out a trophy bear.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
When you get up in that area stop in to practially any store and pick up a snowmobile trail map (preferably plastic coated) for that area to use for quick reference. They show public and private lands and usually all the small trails through the woods.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put in for a bear preference point this year so hopefully in a year or two ill be able to draw 1st season. Ill have to check the results this year and see how many points were needed to draw a tag.
Thanks for the link Dale87.
The snowmobile trail map is a good idea, i didn't realize those would show public and private land boundaries.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yah looks like i won't be getting a 1st season tag since it took 4 points and ill have 3 by the time I'm done up there

1 - 18 of 18 Posts