Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Happy Yooper
801 Posts
Up to 5 inches of ice on Little Bay de Noc north of Gladstone. Still open water south of Gladstone.

·
Registered
273 Posts
safe ice verified on East lake as well as all 3 manistique lakes as of 12/10.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
12/11 checked the ice on un overfished lake today.
1 1/2" was all :(
it'll need to double before it's safe. not this weekend either

·
Happy Yooper
801 Posts
Hey chris are they getting past butlers island ?
Yep. Been a cold couple of nights. Now 4 to 7 inches of ice. Very little snow on top. Guys are pretty much taking quads all over the upper bay. Should have some reports for you all after the weekend.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The ice on Little Bay de Noc has frozen all the way to Portage Pt. The upper bay north of Gladstone is good to go for quads and snowmobiles and hopefully south of Gladstone will be good to go soon too. Just remember to stay away from the shipping channels south of the mouth of Escanaba River. Getting out this weekend....can't wait!

·
Happy Yooper
801 Posts
8 to 10 inches north of Gladstone. A few brave(?) souls starting to drive trucks out onto the ice.

About 6 inches the first 1/4 mile or so south of Gladstone. 2 to 3 inches the rest of the way south to Escanaba.

·
Happy Yooper
801 Posts
At least 10 to 12 inches north of Gladstone. 8 to 10 south of Gladstone to the shove ice. 6 to 8 south to Escanaba. Very little snow on the ice. They are still shipping ore into Escanaba, Freighters and icebreakers are keeping the shipping channel open. Watch the wind.

·
Registered
476 Posts
They have had full size trucks on the bay for a few weeks now. I'm pretty sure you could take a truck out pretty much anywhere in the UP now.

·
Happy Yooper
801 Posts
At least 15 to 18 inches north of Gladstone. They started driving trucks south of Gladstone last weekend as far south as the Terrace access. Been good and cold since then. 12 inches+ as far south as the Escanaba River, now.

·
Registered
147 Posts
they are taking trucks off of dans resort. i had 18 inches two weekends ago out by moon island.

·
Registered
197 Posts
As I went past Keweenaw Bay I saw tents but no quads or snowmobiles, there were no tents past squaw beach yet.

·
Happy Yooper
801 Posts
With the warm temps and rain last night, the ice is very sloppy right now. I went to move my shack tonight south of Gladstone. All but the bigger drifts have been knocked down. There was 3 to 4 inches of water and slush on top of the ice I didn't get an exact measurement, but I know it was just over the top of where my boots were not waterproof! You can get around with a quad, but you'll need to go dead slow if you don't want to get drenched on the way out. No problem with a truck (no salt on the undercarriage, now!) Wind is supposed to switch to the North Wednesday. Hopefully that'll draw enough water off the ice before the cold weather sets in again. Now would be a good time to put your shack up on blocks before everything refreezes at the end of the week.

No reports on the conditions on the upper bay, but it's safe to assume it's the same up there.

I did get one report that the access between the ore docks and Vinette's is in pretty bad shape because of the small creek that empties out right there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brevort lake Is PERFECT right now. The rain cleared all the snow off and the lake is like an ice rink right now, safe to drive a truck all over the lake. Was a walleye tournament out there on the 14th and 15th and a 7.5 pounder won it. I didnt get to do much fishing in it beacuse i came down with strep throat Saturday afternoon. lucky me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts