Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
846 Posts
I know the law, but leaving all that personal info out there makes me uneasy
Same as duck blind on great lakes or perm fishing shanty, nobody I know likes putting all that info out in public. Wish they would come up with free tag you could get at from any license dealer with a random number on it but tied to your hunting/fishing license that you would have to stick on your stand, blind, shanty, etc. Then really enforce the law.

· Registered
6,625 Posts
That's why they changed it so you only have to put a driver license number this year. Better than having to put you name and address on it in my opinion
Probably a bad idea IMO. My wife and son have both gone thru identity theft thru a drivers license number according to the police Sgt. we had doing the investigation into my wifes problem. My son was hit with a 4k stereo system bought in British Columbia, Canada and two round trip tickets to Montreal for around another grand. We got that cleared quickly as we could prove beyond a doubt he didn't make the purchases but my wifes' problem took 4 years to clear up with a ton of damage to her credit.
I haven't bought a deer license in years but if I remember correctly there was a number on it. That's the number that should be used or a license purchaser is issued a number at the time of purchase to be used for stands.

· Premium Member
4,734 Posts
For $1 you can buy a sport card and use that number for as long as you have it. They don't expire.

· Registered
5,824 Posts
I was not aware of that. Learn something new every day. Maybe the DNR should make that number mandatory to go on all types of stands, blinds and permanent ice shantys.
Through the efforts of MDAA and Rep. Vanderwall, you can now use name/address OR driver's license number OR DNR Sportcard number to identify all permanent ice shanties. The DNR released that info in an email on 29 Dec 17. We had been working on that for a while.

I'm not familiar with the hunting regulations.

· Registered
6,625 Posts
Through the efforts of MDAA and Rep. Vanderwall, you can now use name/address OR driver's license number OR DNR Sportcard number to identify all permanent ice shanties. The DNR released that info in an email on 29 Dec 17. We had been working on that for a while.

I'm not familiar with the hunting regulations.
Given a choice, I'd go with the sportscard option after going thru identity thefts in the family.

Hard to beat that! Eliminates all the problems for a buck!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Seems a simple solution. No names/addresses or DL #'s for some crook to use in obtaining identities.

· Premium Member
4,734 Posts
How about trap tags?
Oddly enough, the way the WCO is currently written, the sportcard number is a valid number to use for ID for a trap when etched into the trap but not on the tag itself. (Subsection 3 deals with snares). See below.....would be nice for kids (and others) if the sportcard number was allowed on the tag itself.

(2) Except as provided by subsection (3), to use or have in possession in areas frequented by animals, a catching device of any kind for the taking of animals unless the name and address in legible English or the complete Michigan driver license number or DNR sportcard number of the user or individual possessing the device is permanently etched in the catching device, or there shall be securely fastened to each catching device a metallic plate or tag bearing the name and address in legible English or the complete Michigan driver license number of the user or individual possessing the catching device.

· Registered
27,346 Posts
Oddly enough, the way the WCO is currently written, the sportcard number is a valid number to use for ID for a trap when etched into the trap but not on the tag itself. (Subsection 3 deals with snares). See below.....would be nice for kids (and others) if the sportcard number was allowed on the tag itself.

(2) Except as provided by subsection (3), to use or have in possession in areas frequented by animals, a catching device of any kind for the taking of animals unless the name and address in legible English or the complete Michigan driver license number or DNR sportcard number of the user or individual possessing the device is permanently etched in the catching device, or there shall be securely fastened to each catching device a metallic plate or tag bearing the name and address in legible English or the complete Michigan driver license number of the user or individual possessing the catching device.

An oversight possibly?

Might be something that we can get the wording changed to allow it.

· Premium Member
4,734 Posts
An oversight possibly?

Might be something that we can get the wording changed to allow it.
Being that it is in the WCO instead of statute makes it much easier to change.

· Premium Member
34,480 Posts
Same as duck blind on great lakes or perm fishing shanty, nobody I know likes putting all that info out in public. Wish they would come up with free tag you could get at from any license dealer with a random number on it but tied to your hunting/fishing license that you would have to stick on your stand, blind, shanty, etc. Then really enforce the law.
There is House Bill 4787 (2017) that has passed both the House and Senate and is waiting on the governor to sign that will allow using the sportcard number on shanties.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(0q...ge=getobject&objectname=2017-HB-4787&query=on

Sec. 46502. (1) A EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE PROVIDED IN SUBSECTION
(3), A person shall not set, place, erect, or cause to be set,
placed, or erected, or use a fishing shanty at any time upon the
ice in waters over which the THIS state has jurisdiction, unless
the name and address of INFORMATION IDENTIFYING the owner AS
PRESCRIBED IN THIS SUBSECTION is affixed to each side of the
outside of the fishing shanty in legible letters ALPHANUMERIC
CHARACTERS not less than 2 inches in height. The letters shall
ALPHANUMERIC CHARACTERS MUST be readily visible and consist of
materials that are not soluble in water. THE INFORMATION
IDENTIFYING THE OWNER UNDER THIS SUBSECTION MUST BE 1 OF THE
FOLLOWING:
(A) THE OWNER'S NAME AND ADDRESS.
(B) THE OWNER'S DRIVER LICENSE NUMBER.
(C) THE NUMBER OF THE OWNER'S SPORTCARD ISSUED UNDER SECTION
(2) Placing the owner's name and address INFORMATION
IDENTIFYING THE OWNER on a piece of wood, plastic, or other
material and affixing that piece of material to the fishing shanty
is DOES not compliance with SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS OF this
section.

(3) THE IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENT IN SUBSECTION (1) DOES NOT
APPLY TO A TENT OR OTHER TEMPORARY SHELTER IF THE TENT OR SHELTER
IS REMOVED FROM THE ICE AT THE CONCLUSION OF EACH DAY'S FISHING
ACTIVITY.

· Premium Member
34,480 Posts
There is House Bill 4787 (2017) that has passed both the House and Senate and is waiting on the governor to sign that will allow using the sportcard number on shanties.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(0q...ge=getobject&objectname=2017-HB-4787&query=on

Sec. 46502. (1) A EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE PROVIDED IN SUBSECTION
(3), A person shall not set, place, erect, or cause to be set,
placed, or erected, or use a fishing shanty at any time upon the
ice in waters over which the THIS state has jurisdiction, unless
the name and address of INFORMATION IDENTIFYING the owner AS
PRESCRIBED IN THIS SUBSECTION is affixed to each side of the
outside of the fishing shanty in legible letters ALPHANUMERIC
CHARACTERS not less than 2 inches in height. The letters shall
ALPHANUMERIC CHARACTERS MUST be readily visible and consist of
materials that are not soluble in water. THE INFORMATION
IDENTIFYING THE OWNER UNDER THIS SUBSECTION MUST BE 1 OF THE
FOLLOWING:
(A) THE OWNER'S NAME AND ADDRESS.
(B) THE OWNER'S DRIVER LICENSE NUMBER.
(C) THE NUMBER OF THE OWNER'S SPORTCARD ISSUED UNDER SECTION
(2) Placing the owner's name and address INFORMATION
IDENTIFYING THE OWNER on a piece of wood, plastic, or other
material and affixing that piece of material to the fishing shanty
is DOES not compliance with SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS OF this
section.

(3) THE IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENT IN SUBSECTION (1) DOES NOT
APPLY TO A TENT OR OTHER TEMPORARY SHELTER IF THE TENT OR SHELTER
IS REMOVED FROM THE ICE AT THE CONCLUSION OF EACH DAY'S FISHING
ACTIVITY.
Take a look at this post from a different thread.
Mr. Botek helped to draft the bill.

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/...nt-to-the-governors-desk.608132/#post-6621686

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.