Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hard to tell from your original photos, but are the leaves opposite or alternate? The leaf scars look like they are opposite, but I can't tell. If they are opposite, it is not poison sumac. Also, the leaf stems of poison sumac are red. Hard to tell from your photos, but are they red? Poison sumac have 7 to 13 leaflets. Hard to tell from your photos, but not sure it fits. My first guess was white ash. If the leaves are opposite, I am pretty sure it is white ash.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That is a good question. The compound leaves are opposite, iirc. I left this plant @ the jobsite but am working on a separate parcel yesterday & today. Will look at the now dried up specimen tomorrow.

It is not an Ash - the white spots on the bark precludes that, as do the roots, which are quite different. The site is covered with White Ash regen coming up and this is distinctly not the same.
Juvenile ash can definitely have those types of lenticels on their bark. If the leaves are opposite, but it is not an ash, my best guess is elderberry (Sambucus candensis). It has opposite pinnately compound leaves and the bark has the same lenticels as shown in your images. The leaf scars of Sambucus also look similar to your specimen.
Plant Wood Branch Terrestrial plant Trunk
Plant Terrestrial plant Water Tree Flowering plant

1 - 2 of 2 Posts