Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on a little walkabout today and stumbled on this! I stopped by a big Douglas Fir and looked down and saw something. I kicked it and out rolled this..

Looks to be sawn off and possibly a 12 gauge. Ive no recollection of this weapon and no idea how long its been out there. If this looks familiar to someone of the make that would be interesting.

I researched and found that electrical tape has been around since the 40s.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
When they drained the Fords Dam in St. Clair County for the fish kill we walked the mud trench. Found at least a 12 waterlogged guns in the mud and we were not even looking for those specifically. We did stack some up so next time we canoed it we could retrieve them. Never did get back there, probably still stacked up on the logs we put them on. First time since the 30's that the dam was drained.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Who leaves a cut down gun laying around? If I ever found something like that I think I would reach out to the authority's! Just saying!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who leaves a cut down gun laying around? If I ever found something like that I think I would reach out to the authority's! Just saying!
Im not thinking its the "smoking gun" and will solve a mystery! More like one of the local teens back in the day out into some mischief.

There are thousands of acres of swamp ,river and bayous within a 1/4 mile that would have been a better place to hide a weapon of a crime.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Im not saying it is or isn't, I have no idea, but if that was a smoking gun don't you think that it would be important for someone to know, you don't know if that is a piece of the puzzle that closes a case or not, yes it could be reckless teens, I am not a forensic scientist, just looking at the big picture! There are alot if creeps in this world!

·
Premium Member
10,061 Posts
The body won't be far...
That's what I was thinking. Sawed off shot guns like that were very common when I was young. My friend did that to one and carried it in his car.

It's an interesting find and a further search of the area may be worth while. You just never know what you'll find.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Sawed off shot guns like that were very common when I was young. My friend did that to one and carried it in his car.

It's an interesting find and a further search of the area may be worth while. You just never know what you'll find.
X3 my thoughts also, thinking not far under the surface you may find the owner

·
Registered
656 Posts
Use a bore light w/ a mirror to make sure that thing isn't loaded before ya take it inside. Old powder charges are unstable and spontaneous combustion is real. I wouldn't even try to open the breech.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Do the right thing Bucman, turn it in so they can finger print it 🤣😭😝😂

Pretty cool find, Im still waiting to pull up an old revolver from the bottom of the D, unfortunately its just the usual walleyes

1 - 20 of 22 Posts