Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy want's to try Union lk this week. Neither one of us have ever fished it. Anybody have any where , whats or reports for this lake ? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I live nearby, I have not ice fished it, However, I have seen ALOT of guys out there this year, Seem to congregate in the bay that the launch is on, but across the bay from the launch, and in hte middle of that same bay. I haven't seen anyone on other parts of the lake as yet.

I know that Union is a deep lake, and normally freezes SLOWLY, so please carry and use a spud, It is one lake I personally NEVER trust

·
Registered
572 Posts
I fished last year. Mostly gills. I just remember they had lockjaw. We could see them pretty clearly. One guy said he picks up whitefish (stocked) in the deeper waters early in the morning. They stocked that lake with all kinds of stuff over the years. Good Luck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Spodabe lots of Walleyes in that lake. I fished it in the Summer and caught Walleye, Smallmouth, Largemouth, Pike and some huge gills. I ice fished it once but didn't catch anything.
The lake gets very deep and the water is gin clear.
EO

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
If you don't mind the walk, try the Island (hump) in the middle of the lake. ( A little over 1/2 way across the lake from the boat launch) It's produced Walleye in the summer for us and I know a guy that has caught them there thru the ice. Depth goes from 110' to 8'-10'. This hump is about 75 yards in diameter. It's a small island that doesn't break the surface of the water. I guess you wouldn't call it an actual island but we do. :rolleyes:

You can find this hump half way between a seawall (about 200' long) on the south shore then line up with a large white house with big windows on the north shore. Line up and go to the middle of the lake and start checking depth.

If anyone tries this area keep us posted.

Good luck

G-MAN

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I fished that hump a few years ago thru the ice with minimal success...But it is a textbook spot, a "dream spot" so to speak...Well worth trying. I may try it on last ice (if I can pry myself away from LSC...:D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I wish I could give a report but my buddy got sick and we didn't go. Maybe next week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts