Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, this wknd my fishun buddy got a fresh water drum threw the ice and it weighed 2lb heavier than the state record.. he was kinda exited.. then today he took it in to have the DNR identify it for sure and see what he needed to do to get it recorded.. well his bubble got bursted quickly.. they told him the lake shouldnt have drum in it and there fore doesnt qualify:(
so since when did the DNR have the control over what fish lives where completly? doesnt birds have a role in populating our water ways to some extent? so he is going to have it mounted and it will be our own little bit of fishing memories and it will have a strange story.. it weighed 28lbs 6 ounce on a certified scale..

·
Registered
139 Posts
well, this wknd my fishun buddy got a fresh water drum threw the ice and it weighed 2lb heavier than the state record.. he was kinda exited.. then today he took it in to have the DNR identify it for sure and see what he needed to do to get it recorded.. well his bubble got bursted quickly.. they told him the lake shouldnt have drum in it and there fore doesnt qualify:(
so since when did the DNR have the control over what fish lives where completly? doesnt birds have a role in populating our water ways to some extent? so he is going to have it mounted and it will be our own little bit of fishing memories and it will have a strange story.. it weighed 28lbs 6 ounce on a certified scale..
That doesn't make sense to me !! What does it matter what lake it came from ?! Got a pic ?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Another critter that doesn't exist in the eyes of the DNR.:confused:

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got a pic on my phone that was sent to me but my phone isnt a smart phone just a flip top and i dont know how to get it off there so i can show it.. i will ask for a pic threw email tommrrow and try it that way unles yu folks can tell me how to get it off the flip phone.. it was about 32" long and 13" deep8.5" across

·
Registered
239 Posts

If that is true then how did this fish become the new state record!
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/01/michigan_flathead_catfish_reco.html

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yea that doesn't make any sense fresh water drum are everywhere. The only possible reason I could see for it not being recognised it's that you were on a private body of water

·
Registered
3,958 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
some good points and the catfish article mentioned jim dexter, fisheries biologist and he is a freind so perhaps i should contact him on it.. i didnt catch the fish my buddy did and it was on a definitely puplic lake a very well known one, will have to contct jim dexter to see what the deal is..

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well just got off the phone with the dnr and they questioned the location of where it was taken because they had no previous drum from a inland lake but due to the link you showed me i got threw to them that is was indeed taken where we said it was.. need to get pictures and weight slip to document the catch and might make it yet?

·
Darkhouse Ninja
5,611 Posts
well just got off the phone with the dnr and they questioned the location of where it was taken because they had no previous drum from a inland lake but due to the link you showed me i got threw to them that is was indeed taken where we said it was.. need to get pictures and weight slip to document the catch and might make it yet?

Awesome keep on them!!!!

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
If they are going to get picky then they have to throw out over half of the state records as they are invasive species and should not be in the waters where they were caught. Leave it to the DNR to mess up your record. Nice catch and hope that it works out

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
got to get some pics and witness info around and will pass it on t the guy i talked with.. found out tonight that we got a picture taken of it right after it was taken on the ice from another person other than the guy that took it.. i think we have a good chance at getting this set straight,, but for others make sure you have documentation of anything you can..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts