Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used any of the underwater cameras out.I am wondering if you can see anything with them.If so how deep and how far. I am thinking about one to use for shallow water,under 25 feet. Any help will be appreciated.THANKS

·
Registered
606 Posts
depending on the water clairty, but normally most lakes i fish are clear and i can see my bait which is about 4 feet from the camera and then i can see fish comming from even further away.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Some people have used them and got good footage, but rigging them is a royal pain. If you were just out playing, and cared more about getting some video than catching fish, you can get it done, but theyre more a novelty on the big water than a "tool"..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've owned two over the last three years. The first one was Out Door Viewing Systems. The camera developed a leak after the first season and I had to replace it. The second one was the Aqua View with color LED's. Both had similar depth of view and clairity. Both systems use natural sunlight as well as infrared to for a light source. I believe the camera CCD is more sensistive to infrared but can also pick up natural. I'm no physics guy. But I can tell you I have been able to see about 6' - 10' while drifting the St. Joe river. Brown water and all. It has something to do with the infrared thing. On the big lake, I can see from 15' - 25'. I mostly use it to cut down my time looking for Perch. Find the pack of boats, troll to look for the mark on you fishfinder, toss the camera over. You have the instant ability to see whether its an algae plume, ale wives , Gobies or Perch. The other aspect is you will never miss a bite when ice fishing. A bluegill can suck in your mousy and spit it out without ever tripping the most expensive ice fishing pole. Most have cable lengths of 60' and 100'. Wouldn't use it for trolling, it would cause too much drag.

·
Registered
606 Posts
i've tried mine while trolling and to even see your bait you have to have such a short lead that it's not even worth it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts