Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions on using my new Aqua-vu 715c on the ice. I've never used one before. Do people leave it underwater all the time while fishing? Do people use them to look for fish before even putting a line in?
Any suggestions appreciated. We fish inland lakes for panfish.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Looking for suggestions on using my new Aqua-vu 715c on the ice. I've never used one before. Do people leave it underwater all the time while fishing? Do people use them to look for fish before even putting a line in?
Any suggestions appreciated. We fish inland lakes for panfish.
I' been looking at these cams for a while. I'm not an ice guy but would like to use in open water fishing. I have been mapping structure and was thinking this would really bring that activity to life. Being able to actually see breaks and break lines really interests me.
Have you had a chance to use? What do you like ? What do not like about operation?

Reactions: Sturat

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't had a chance to use it yet other than in the living room :) Hoping to take it ice fishing before too long here. I like the big screen and that the lights "glow" red instead of being bright white. I'm curious to see if it spooks fish or not. The bag that the unit comes with will be nice to keep it somewhat protected during transport. When I get a chance to use it I'll post my findings here.

I'm hoping to use it this summer also, most of the lakes we fish aren't very deep so it seems like it would be neat to see the bottom or any structure that might be down there. Aqua-vu has a smaller 5" screen camera that looks alot more portable but I fish with a 2 year old so I thought this one would be less likely to end up down a hole or overboard:)

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Best use is ice fishing. 1)the ice keeps the water clearer, major factor with no algae etc. 2) the ice gives a steady platform to run camera. Bouncing in a boat even the slightest movement impedes watching your bait or fish on screen.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had a chance to use the camera a little bit Monday. There weren't any fish where we were so I can't comment on that. I was able to see the bottom very clearly though in about 30ft of water. The lights on the camera seem to be very effective. We were able to see a sunken tree branch very clearly. While lowering the camera I did notice the lights reflecting off from alot of silt and "stuff" floating in the water. I think this is going to be a common issue on Wixom and Sanford lakes due to the water moving so much from the dams. I had heard this might be an issue from some friends. I think the camera will be worth it when I get a chance

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Stuff -- is most likely plankton or phyto's.. Lights will make it worse. I use my camera more to locate weedbeds and weed edges. Kids like the cam when they're in the shanty. It is quite entertaining, but a PIA..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Continuing from above post (I hit post button on accident ) :)
When I get a chance to set the camera up and fish with it or move around to see what is on the bottom I think it will be a good tool, and fun. I think the screen resolution is good and it gives a good picture. I like that the lights are adjustable and they seen to be very effective. I like that it comes with a case and that it food in a 5 gallon bucket too. The only negative I can really think of would be that the buttons are kind of hard to push.
Overall I like the camera and I think it will be fun to have for ice fishing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stuff -- is most likely plankton or phyto's.. Lights will make it worse. I use my camera more to locate weedbeds and weed edges. Kids like the cam when they're in the shanty. It is quite entertaining, but a PIA..
I figured kids would like to play with the camera, that's one of the reasons I opted for the bigger one instead of the more portable unit.
Although I have to admit I'll probably be playing with the camera too :)

·
Super Moderator
5,403 Posts
Do people leave it underwater all the time while fishing? Do people use them to look for fish before even putting a line in?
Aaron Wiebe uses them a lot in his show Uncut Angling for ice fishing. He has a ton of videos on YouTube. Both for scouting contours and for sight fishing, etc.

This is one of the latest videos. Search his channel and you'll find a lot more as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aaron Wiebe uses them a lot in his show Uncut Angling for ice fishing. He has a ton of videos on YouTube. Both for scouting contours and for sight fishing, etc.

This is one of the latest videos. Search his channel and you'll find a lot more as well.

Excellent, I'll check it out. Thank you

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Love my aqua vu but it just died. Treated it too hard. I recommend you get it set up with a record function.

Got to have a plan and a power sugar. I still 4 holes . One for camera and 3 for lines. The move till ya find them sometimes 6 feet makes a huge difference

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Love my aqua vu but it just died. Treated it too hard. I recommend you get it set up with a record function.

Got to have a plan and a power sugar. I still 4 holes . One for camera and 3 for lines. The move till ya find them sometimes 6 feet makes a huge difference

Very cool videos, neat to see how the fish react to the bait.
My aqua-vu (715c) doesn't have built in record function, I've seen videos online about using a laptop and the video out port on the aqua-vu to record. Do you use a set up like that? Or does your camera have built in recording function? Either way very cool videos,thanks for sharing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts