Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set out my first snare poles for beaver on Sunday and picked one up last night. The beaver was caught right behind the head on a pole with four snares. The snare this beaver was caught on was totally destroyed, kinked and twisted beyond any use, I also had to discard another snare on the pole from kinks and was able to salvage another that wasn't as severely kinked.

My question is this- does anyone make or use swivels on under ice snares? I'm using the snare shops north bay snare, which has a solid loop end. All other snares I'm seeing marketed for under ice use don't feature a swivel, where all the swiveles snares I can find seem long for under ice use. Is there a reason why swivels aren't used in this application? I can only imagine it would help reduce kinking and twisting after a catch.

Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add this was a 1/16", 1x19 snare as are any other I've seen marketed as under ice snares.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Some snares are going to get beat-up but some you'll be able to continue using after a little work. I always used my version of Rally Hess's "beaver spike" with 3/32"/ 7x7 and I included a swivel as an intergral part of it's make-up. Worked SUPER!!!

02 15 12_0626.jpeg

02 15 12_0627.jpeg

02 13 12_0623.jpeg

BTW, my spikes worked great when blind setting a run!

Reactions: Fool'em

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Photo of my under-ice, run setup. 6' of 3/8" rod with a ring on the top end for tether & ID, bottom end flattened for driving into run, a washer-stop to bottom out the rod from further going deeper into the bottom of the run. Being able to adjust the height with the homemade set screw was a good thing if I had a loon poop bottom. My rig was a heck of a lot better then trying to find & cut a dry piece of limb to use and screw around trying to get the correct depth established so my snare was the correct distance off bottom.

I really enjoyed under-ice beaver snaring!!
IMG_0016.jpeg

Reactions: Fool'em

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
As I read back at the start of the thread it was ask about using swivels. I answered the question but I may have got carried away with the topic and hijacked the thread, which if I did, I apologize.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I read back at the start of the thread it was ask about using swivels. I answered the question but I may have got carried away with the topic and hijacked the thread, which if I did, I apologize.
Thank you for the informative posts - your run set up looks like a great idea. Regarding the bait pole setup I used 14 gauge wire for support. Rally Hess' brackets look really slick. I might try to work out a way to incorporate swivels into my setup for the remainder of this season.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Looks good to me! The spikes are triple purpose, a swivel, a support, and an easy access for your tether cable that is wound though the snares.

I always got frustrated looking for some dead limbs and then trying to set them where I wanted the snare both in height from bottom and the correct distance from the center of the run. My rods solved the puzzle and made everything far more efficient and quicker to setup.

Reactions: Fool'em and Gnoyes

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good to me! The spikes are triple purpose, a swivel, a support, and an easy access for your tether cable that is wound though the snares.

I always got frustrated looking for some dead limbs and then trying to set them where I wanted the snare both in height from bottom and the correct distance from the center of the run. My rods solved the puzzle and made everything far more efficient and quicker to setup.
For sure, I'm learning that the hunt for suitable pieces of timber can be the most time consuming step.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
These are photos taken the year I developed my uder-ice, beaver snare rod and really explain why I came up with the idea for them.
02 05 12_0621.jpeg
02 05 12_0622.jpeg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts