Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did you see the video on the home page of Ted Nugent hunting with a cross bow? He shot that doe kind of far back didnt he? mmm a cross bow?

·
Banned
492 Posts
was just on michigan out of doors...looked like a lung shot to me, btw MAN does that show suck, decoying birds shot at 50 yards i just will never understand that

the click...click...click...click...click of that single shot 12 made me laugh by the second click i woulda had a new shell in there

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Deer just fall over dead when Uncle Ted's around! Say whatcha want, the man can kill deer! x-bow or not, that deer was dead on its feet!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hahaha, yeah that 12ga was a classic clip. I hunt right by where he hunts at and I have never seen bucks like that there. He can't be but 1 or 2 miles from me.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
was just on michigan out of doors...looked like a lung shot to me, btw MAN does that show suck, decoying birds shot at 50 yards i just will never understand that

the click...click...click...click...click of that single shot 12 made me laugh by the second click i woulda had a new shell in there
I was surprised to see that he was using a crossbow too. Without getting into that debate, I still enjoy watching him.

I think the camera angle was a bit deceiving and she was quartering away a touch. The camera also skews the distance - I have a feeling she was a lot closer than it looked and it was a somewhat sever down angle. Either way, "swap donkey" down, and good eating.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
But why would you shoot a doe that is still producing twin fawn ever year?

I am glad I was not the only one that though they were take shots to far away. and also shooting at 2 birds when there is a group behind them Way to educate the gesse Hunter Engle!

·
Banned
492 Posts

I am glad I was not the only one that though they were take shots to far away. and also shooting at 2 birds when there is a group behind them Way to educate the gesse Hunter Engle!
cuz this is michigan...if u do the next guy will!! meat in the freezer is meat in the freezer :lol:

2 birds dead is better than a flock still flying around!!

haha

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Huh? Maybe because there is a population problem in zone 3? There's no guarantee she has or will continue to produce twins, and that is irrelevant anyway.
Kinda what I was thinking ...HUH??

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Theo has been shooting animals with crossbows for YEARS, in other states of course.

As for the range of shots on the geese,,, the shooting seemed piss-poor, but with that said,, there's nothing more deceiving than the camera angle on waterfowling, I don't think they were outta range.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts

It's called TOO MANY DEER IN MANY DMUs!

Let's see if I have this right. In the eyes of some we're not supposed to shoot does:

If they have fawns with them. cuz the fawns won't survive
Not until later in the seasons.....MZ season preferably.....or at least not until a or two buck has been taken
Don't shoot does 'cuz they bring in the bucks
Now it's not if they are still producing fawns cuz that gives us more deer
(Did I miss any?.........probably)

Most DMUs in the SLP and many in the NLP and a few in the UP have an overpopulation of deer. The "traditional" deer yards in the UP and SLP have long been browsed out (white cedar) and offer little for a whitetail to eat during hard winters such as that of '08-09. Browse lines are even showing up in the SLP. It is the consensus of whitetail biologists, and perhaps without dissent, that deer populations in many areas need to be reduced in order to prevent starvation, reduce the risk of rampant disease spreading, etc.

Question: Given the above, and we've seen them on these boards for years, just when in heavens name are does supposed to be taken??? :confused: :dizzy:

Wealth is measured by what we give away and not by what we keep.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
It's called TOO MANY DEER IN MANY DMUs!

Let's see if I have this right. In the eyes of some we're not supposed to shoot does:

If they have fawns with them. cuz the fawns won't survive
Not until later in the seasons.....MZ season preferably.....or at least not until a or two buck has been taken
Don't shoot does 'cuz they bring in the bucks
Now it's not if they are still producing fawns cuz that gives us more deer
(Did I miss any?.........probably)

Most DMUs in the SLP and many in the NLP and a few in the UP have an overpopulation of deer. The "traditional" deer yards in the UP and SLP have long been browsed out (white cedar) and offer little for a whitetail to eat during hard winters such as that of '08-09. Browse lines are even showing up in the SLP. It is the consensus of whitetail biologists, and perhaps without dissent, that deer populations in many areas need to be reduced in order to prevent starvation, reduce the risk of rampant disease spreading, etc.

Question: Given the above, and we've seen them on these boards for years, just when in heavens name are does supposed to be taken??? :confused: :dizzy:

Wealth is measured by what we give away and not by what we keep.
Good points,, although my management practices changed yesterday in the blink of an eye, on principal alone.

I hunt stateland in the SLP. Starting next year, I will no longer be paying EXTRA (antlerless app. fee) to shoot a doe.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hahaha, yeah that 12ga was a classic clip. I hunt right by where he hunts at and I have never seen bucks like that there. He can't be but 1 or 2 miles from me.
I still think that buck he shot was the 1st one he passed on. I thought they both looked like 8's with a broken brow. :lol:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I still think that buck he shot was the 1st one he passed on. I thought they both looked like 8's with a broken brow. :lol:
The first one was wider and was only a base 6 point. They looked very similar in body size to me.

I had something similar happen muzzleloading. Went to pull the trigger and heard a soft thump. I had the rubber nipple guard on and had forgot to put a cap on. had to fumble around, put a cap on, and crossed my fingers that the powder wasn't wet. Pulled again and bang, dead deer.

Adding these.

First buck

second buck

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
As I read thru the posts it's always refreshing to see how sportsman stick together:dizzy:

It really gets sickening when we have to pick apart and anaylize every little thing. What it can't just be entertaining to watch?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ted did really get excited over that swamp donkey, however, I thought he was going to shoot one of those small bucks or spikes. I remember watching a show with him in it (not sure if it were Michigan Out of Doors) but he shot a spike and was very proud of that. Yeah, for this "thinning the herd" idea that makes sense but I didnt' think that was for showing on TV as it wasn't that impressive (just my opinion).

That shotgun misfiring as HILARIOUS. That guy was so worked up over it. I also thought that buck he shot was the one he had seen previous in the footage.

Michigan Out of Doors is low budget and rather comical. If I remember right, years back they filmed a hunt where a guy shot a deer and it ran smack dab into a tree...LOL

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I was surprised to see that he was using a crossbow too.
We had many a good conversation while I worked at MUCC, often he was miffed at their stances. When I say "miffed" I'm being generous. It's been nice since I left, now I don't have to make any excuses for their policy positions, we can just BS.

Anyway, I said to my wife that I was shocked he was even on the show due to these differing opinions in the past. If memory serves MUCC had an anti-xbow position and he was out of his mind p****-off writing them off for good. He's all about inclusion, not exclusion.

Knowing Uncle Ted I'm assuming he did that (x-bow) to prove a point;), and probably as a favor to Jenny at that.

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
As I read thru the posts it's always refreshing to see how sportsman stick together:dizzy:

It really gets sickening when we have to pick apart and anaylize every little thing. What it can't just be entertaining to watch?
:yeahthat: The internet police must be REALLY BORED today!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
198 Posts

i agree. one of the worst threads ive read. i have no probs with the show. its a good down home michigan show where every thing doesnt have to be a trophy or a limit to have a good time outside.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The first one was wider and was only a base 6 point. They looked very similar in body size to me.

I had something similar happen muzzleloading. Went to pull the trigger and heard a soft thump. I had the rubber nipple guard on and had forgot to put a cap on. had to fumble around, put a cap on, and crossed my fingers that the powder wasn't wet. Pulled again and bang, dead deer.

Adding these.

First buck

second buck
I didnt get to see the show last night. I thought I heard there was a internet site I can go to see the show.... help?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts